The Winds of Change

~Present~

My alarm blares and I wake from another strange dream, not entirely remembering it, but the feelings from the dream lingered long after I got out of bed, and started my routine for the day. Having graduated a semester early, thankfully, I get ready for my shift at the hospital in Forks.

I work at the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit), and knowing it'll be a long day ahead of me I brew myself extra coffee, and pack a few extra snacks, hoping this will get me through the day. Writing a small note for Charlie, making sure he knows there are left overs in the fridge, I leave the warmth of the house, to brave the rainy drive to work.

As much as these long days are exhausting, I do t think I could ever get tired of it, nor the beautiful green drive I take every morning. For as long as I could remember, I've always dreamt of helping others, and those small, premature babies, needed our help the most. When I was offered the job at the hospital I was ecstatic, Charlie even laughed at my excitement. It wasn't just because I got to work where I've always wanted to, but it finally got me out of the house, and to meet new people.

I, Sophia Swan, was happy with where my life was headed, and it was nice knowing that nothing could really go wrong in such a peaceful little town.

"Good morning, Dr. Grace. How is everyone this morning?" I asks quietly as I set my things behind the nursing station.

"Good morning, Sophia. Everyone is doing a great deal better than yesterday." The older lady says with a smile, adjusting her hair cap over her slightly graying brunette hair. Grace has been my mentor and mother-like figure here at the hospital ever since I started my journey here.

"I should make you aware, because I didn't think you'd mind, but I volunteered you to work on a project with Dr. Cullen."

I turn to her in shock, wondering why the well-known surgeon wants to work with a NICU nurse. He's bound to have more important things to do, and besides, he's never shown an interest before... Its very out of the ordinary.

"It's experimental, but he wanted to teach some of the nurses emergency surgical care for premature babies. In case he cannot be here and something happens, he wants to make sure one of us knows how to care for them."

"And you volunteered me?" I ask, still surprised that she believes I could do something of this caliber. Don't get me wrong, I believe I could, but there are more experienced nurses who would love the opportunity.

"You're our brightest, most aspiring young nurse to be working in this unit. If anyone deserves this opportunity it's you."

At a loss for words, I simply embrace my mentor, completely honored to have been chosen for such an opportunity.

"You'll begin with him in the next week, so for now, you've just got you're regular rotations."

Grace announces with a smile, which I return easily, and for the rest of my shift, I can't wipe the silly smile off my face.

~~~

The shift goes by quickly, each of my patients getting healthier by the day which makes me ecstatic, not only that, but I can't keep the thought of my upcoming project out of my mind. Dr. Cullen is a very nice man, one that does exquisite work as a doctor, but like I mentioned early, he's never really fraternized with other departments in the hospital. And so it was strange to hear that he was the one who wanted to work with us.