The Hands Of Fate

A couple days into my new job with Dr. Cullen, I'm finally starting to get the hang of surgical things, and can almost do one of the procedures all by myself. To say I'm proud of myself would be very correct! Spending a lot of my time at the hospital, I haven't seen a lot of my sister, which I'm not really complaining about, but I feel bad leaving her father alone and alone with her...

Yet I'm not the only one at fault. Bella hasn't spoken much to me, except the other day when she shared the fact that she goes to school with Dr. Cullen's adoptive children, and to supposedly warn me that they seem like a strange family, especially after her awkward encounter with Edward in the school's office.

I was taken off guard, sure, but I also know that it's just Bella's biased opinion, because I believe Carlisle is great, and he speaks highly of his family when we're working in his office together. And I try and make my own opinions about people.

While I was finishing paperwork with the doctor after a successful intubation of a baby who couldn't breath on his own, it seemed that fate has been sitting idle for too long, and well, my boring life in Forks began to get interesting.

"Very well done today Sophia. I couldn't have done it better myself." Carlisle praises, causing me to beam in pride and happiness.

"Thank you—" I begin but am suddenly cut off by the office door swinging open, causing me to jump in surprise because I didn't even hear a knock.

"Carlisle, I'm sorry, but.... Scarlette?"

The handsome man behind the door looks to be around my age, with blonde hair and golden eyes, he has a slight southern accent breaking through as he calls me by the wrong name. His eyes wide like he's seen a ghost, not taking his eyes off me, but I too am transfixed on him.

"Actually, it's Sophia."

I correct with a warm smile, standing to introduce myself fully, completely entranced by the familiar feeling of this man, but from the corner of my eye, Carlisle moves quickly to the man's side, smiling slightly in my direction.

"Would you excuse us, Sophia?" I only have time to nod before the doctor ushers the man out of his office, and I have to ignore the strange need to follow them.

~~~

Down the hall, Carlisle tries to get some sort of explanation out of Jasper, not entirely sure what just happened, but watches as Jasper's pained eyes quickly move as if he's searching through old memories.

"Jasper. What was that back there?"

"That—She... Who is she?"

Jasper asks and Carlisle is taken aback by all the emotion swirling in the man's golden eyes, never seeing the usually controlled man, look so torn.

"Her name is Sophia Swan—"

"It can't be. That was Scarlette Harris. Just as she looked a hundred and fifty years ago..."

Carlisle steps back in shock, not understanding how that could be possible. Sophia is human, he could hear her heart, but that's the only explanation as to why Jasper is reacting so strangely.