Three Flew Over The Psychic's Nest

"Wow. So it was nothing but a big misunderstanding?" June asked.

"Yeah. Charmander didn't really mean any harm," I said. "It wasn't the best thing for him to do, but all in all, we got over it, and now, well, you can see we're friends."

"That's nothing short of amazing, Gary," June replied, wide eyed like a fascinated child.

We were walking through Route 7, on our way to Saffron City. The path had started out nice enough. Simple grassy plains and trees once lined our path, the sun shining down on us pleasantly on such a windless afternoon. But as night settled upon us and the temperature dropped slightly, the walk soon turned into a mountain climb! The trees and grass continued lining the way, but the path swiftly went uphill and rocky underneath us.

When she was done complaining about the extra effort it was now taking us to get to Saffron, June had decided to ask me about what Aly had told her when she said me and Charmander were having issues. "This is why I'm glad I got to be with you, you know?"

"I guess..." I didn't always like her choice of words.

"You come off as cold sometimes, Gary," she continued. "But you're one of the sweetest-"

"This path sure is getting foggy," I interrupted. I kept my squinting eyes ahead of me, trying to see through the fog that had suddenly crept in, and seemed to be getting thicker with each step we took.

"Gary?"

"Yeah?" I kept walking, waiting for her to say something.

She continued to be quiet.
"June?" I said, still walking.

"Huh?" a voice said next to me.

It wasn't June's voice.

"Huh?" My heart skipped a beat and I turned quickly. My eyes widened in shock and fear. "Kiwi???"

The young girl turned to me and squinted. "Gary???"

"AAAAAHHHH!!!!" we both screamed, our voices echoing in the mountains.

"What are you doing here?!" I said far louder than I needed to, still frightened.

"Whoa! What you doing here??" Kiwi repeated.

"I-I-I was walking to Saffron City with June, and then I turn and see you here!" I stammered.

"I was on my way to Saffron City, too!" Kiwi exclaimed. "I just came from Chisel City and won my Alloy Badge there. I was going to head to Celadon City, but I thought maybe it'd be best if I try out the Psychic Gym in Saffron City instead and try to win a Marsh Badge!"

"Oh..." My heart was starting to slow down. My hand pressed against my chest and I took a deep breath. I swallowed and found myself more able to speak. "How many Badges do you have?"

"I have four Badges now!" Kiwi said happily. "If I beat the Gym Leader in Saffron, I'll have five! How about you?"
My gaze lowered to the rocky mountain beneath me. "I have three so far..."

"Well, you're not far behind! I'm only one ahead!" Kiwi said happily.

"Yeah..."

"No 'yeah....'" Kiwi said sternly. "You'll catch up! You and me, and Robin and Aly. We'll get every Badge and meet up at the finals at the Pokemon League! And that's where I'll beat you all!"

I laughed.

Kiwi always had the most bizarre yet invigorating sense of humor.

I looked around. "But where's June?" I wondered.