Welcome Back, Totter

June uttered a loud sound from her throat, struggling to speak, ended up choking on the dirt clogged air. With a sharp, high pitched cough, she covered her mouth, her entire body shaking as if outlined by jagged lines. "KIWI! Is it really you?"

Kiwi stood in a black coat that had a hood she wasn't wearing. A white beanie hat sat atop her head. Her light blue slacks ended resting against the top of her black sneakers. She turned to June. "Of course it is," she replied coldly.

June's eyes widened in shock and she merely looked down.

I stood up shakily, wearily, trying not to breathe too much through my nose, unwilling to inhale through my mouth.

Kiwi's eyes turned back to me. Her eyes were hard. There was no warmth in them. In all the years I'd known Kiwi, I had never seen her with that kind of a look on her face. Ever.

I nearly fell back down as she looked at me.

Kiwi seemed just a little bit different, and it was all in her eyes. No. Not just her eyes. Her stern face, pursed lips, and all around demeanor. This wasn't the cheerful, zany girl I grew up with most of my life.

"Kiwi," I finally said. A smile spread across my face. "I can't believe it! I can't believe you're really here!" I ran to her eagerly and spread my arms to embrace her in a hug.

She raised an arm and shoved me back surprisingly hard.

I gasped and fell back, stumbling, and hit the ground. Unable to speak, choking on the thick, filthy air, I kept my eyes on my friend until I could breathe again. "Kiwi??" That shove was really strong!

She looked up, past me.

There was a roar, followed shortly by another one.

I got to my feet and turned around to see what Kiwi was staring at.

"CHOOOKE!" the Machoke raged, getting to his feet.

"Machamp!" Machamp groaned, glaring at us all.

They charged at us at once.

"Hypnosis!" Kiwi yelled.

"Haunter!" Haunter appeared in front of the two Superpower Pokemon.

Before Haunter could attack, Machoke and Machamp raised one arm, each sparking with a dark coating, and used Knock Off, sending Haunter flying past June and right through me.

As Haunter flew through me, I felt an incredible chill and collapsed onto my knees, holding myself, shivering.

"Haunter!" Kiwi called in shock.

Still shivering, squinting hard through the sudden, freezing cold, I looked up to see Machoke and Machamp getting closer.

June screamed.

Machoke suddenly stopped and hit the ground on his knees, and then fell facedown, leaking blood all over the ground, forming a puddle around himself.

Machamp headed straight for June.

"JUNE!" I ignored the deadly cold; or perhaps my body was warming up and got up, tackling her out of the way as she stood frozen in fear.

We both dropped hard, but Machamp never reached us.

Machamp suddenly exploded! Blood, guts, and all kinds of disgusting innards from Machamp's body flew in all directions, some landing across my back and head. The sound was disgusting as things were splattered.

All was quiet soon after.

I slowly lifted my head, looking around, and turned away immediately from the sight.