The End Of June

"I'm a little disappointed," June complained. "Summer's right around the corner and it's not all that hot out right now!"
"Summer? We just barely got into spring!" I responded.

June turned to look at me. "That's not true. It may not have felt like spring, but spring is just about over. We're headed for summer, and fast."

I gaped at June, stunned. I only had seven Badges. There was still one more for me to get, and then make my way to the Pokemon League at the Indigo Plateau! The Pokemon League started sometime early in the fall. Was I going to make it in time?

"When we left the Pokemon Center in Cloud City, the calendar there said it was like, the middle of June," June stated. "We've been traveling for quite some time now, trying to find Azure City. It may be summer right now, to be honest. My point is, the weather is pretty calm right now. I really was looking forward to some heat and sun already."

"Screw that!" I yelled. "I have to get my last Badge and we have to get to the Pokemon League! Immediately! Come on!" I ran ahead, my feet pounding into the gravel covered ground beneath my feet.

Trees lined the rocky path I ran through, the afternoon sun blocked by white clouds, a cool breeze pushing against me.

"GARY!" June shouted angrily. "Cut it out! You have plenty of time!"

"We have to get to Pewter City! I have to meet Aurora again!"

Aurora. I remembered her all too well. I recalled the first time we battled and how easily she had defeated Charmander with her Graveler in one hit. Mankey defeated Graveler in a tough match, but lost to Kabutops, even though he evolved during the end of the battle. During our rematch, Graveler defeated both Primeape and my Charmander. In our final match, Aurora's Graveler beat my Hoothoot, but lost to Primeape. Primeape ended up losing to Kabutops easily. Her Kabutops was incredibly strong, but I was determined to defeat that thing. By any means.

"Gary, will you please just wait up??"

I slowed down but kept up a fair jog, looking back angrily.

June was running after me, breathing hard, glaring. "Come on, Gary. Stop this. We'll make it in time."

"The Pokemon League is only a couple of months away, more or less," I insisted. "I don't need you slowing me down, June. Now come on!" I turned away and picked up my pace.

"Gary!" June begged.

I ignored her, thinking about Aurora.

"Our current Gym Leader hasn't lost a Pokemon match with a challenger in at least four years," Nurse Joy's voice rang in my brain.

It'd be going on five years, now, I thought. Has anyone beaten her since my three attempts? I'm coming for that Badge, Aurora. I hope you remember me, because when I'm done with you, you certainly will keep me in your mind for quite some time afterwards. As I ran, my thoughts continued.

Her beautiful, long blonde hair. Her seductive, dark brown eyes. Her frightening, threatening, intimidating battling style.

The Boulder Badge is mine, I promised. No matter what. I will not be leaving Pewter City without it. And I'm not gonna lose at all this time. I'm leaving with that Badge.

"Gary, will you look at what I found?" June shouted.

I was yanked from my thoughts as I kept on moving, but slowed down.

June was on her knees a long distance behind me, staring at something.

"June, what is it?" I asked impatiently. I stopped running and stared at her.