The Dawn Before The Storm

"Aurora sure sounds mean." June sipped from a bottle of water.

"She's strong, that's for sure." I shoved a soft, oatmeal raisin cookie into my mouth.

"It's one thing to be strong," June added as she lowered the bottle from her lips. "It's another to just be a brutal Trainer. She sounds like she's very hard on her Pokemon."

"I'm not sure," I said after swallowing my cookie. "I've never seen her train before. I've only encountered the results."

"Four years..." June muttered. "That's an incredible record."

"Yeah. And it's been about a year almost since we last battled."

"You think she's been beaten, yet?" June looked at me seriously.

I smiled, staring back. "I hope not. I want to be the one to take her down."

June's expression didn't change. "Whether she's been beaten or not, it'll be a great accomplishment to finally beat her. I know you can do it, Gary."

"Thanks, June. Both me and my Pokemon have grown a lot since the last time I was in Pewter City. She won't be facing the same Trainer or Pokemon."

June nodded. "But Gary, I hope you won't be using Charizard or anything against her. You need to be smart about this. You can't just win off of willpower. Based on what you told me about her, you really will need to have both strength and a good plan to overcome her."

My eyes lowered as I thought of how Aurora's Graveler defeated my Charmander in our first battle. Mankey beat it but lost to Kabutops, even though he had evolved. Primeape and Charmander were both beaten by Graveler in the second round. During the last fight, Hoothoot was taken out by Graveler, but Primeape beat it, losing to Kabutops in the end. I looked up at June. "We'll be smart, and strong, in my next battle with her."

June nodded, a worried look on her face.

June, me, and all of our Pokemon were sitting together in a clearing in the woods, eating breakfast.

June wasn't too hungry and drank from her second bottle of water.

I was eating soft baked cookies, which June scolded me for when I took the box out.

Our Pokemon ate from their food bowls eagerly as I answered June's inquiries about my upcoming Gym battle.

"Gary, who do you intend on using? If I may ask..."

I looked into June's eyes and then gazed up at the sky before finally letting out a sigh. "To be honest, June, I have no idea."

"Oh," June said shortly.

"I'd like to use Charizard," I said, looking at him.

Charizard looked up at me at the mention on his name and stared at me expectantly.

"Gary!" June cried angrily. "You have to stop that! You did this with Cleopatra! You can't keep trying to create a win by building off of past feelings. It won't get you through. Aurora is clearly too skilled for that!"

"I'm not!" I shot back, turning to June. "I mean..." I lowered my eyes. "I'm not sure what I'll do."

"Gary, you don't have much time left, right? You are so worried about making it to the Pokemon League in time. Don't waste time. Think smart and win fast. You're only one Badge away!" June smiled kindly. "It's been such an amazing journey with you. I've truly enjoyed our time. I'm really excited for the Pokemon League competition to start. I think you have the potential to win the entire thing. I truly believe in you."

"Wow. Thank you, June." I smiled shyly.

June smiled even wider and giggled, her eyes crinkling in delight.