A Little Less Confrontation

Gotta get to Pallet Town, I thought, breathing hard, running as fast as I could through the Route 1 forest.

June was not too far behind me, trying to keep up.

My heart was tackling my chest, sweat pouring down my face, under my shirt, and in my pants. My cap and jacket were on, but I was in far too much of a rush to take them off. My energy was draining fast in the thick humidity, but I refused to stop. Only a couple more days left, I pushed myself. I have to make it! Time was up. If I stopped, I'd never get to the Pokemon League in time to compete in the competition. I just knew it. With that imbedded in my mind, my feet moved to carry me even faster.

Blurred visions of Pokemon ran past me, in front of my path or out of the way. The grass continuously rustled beside me.

June was gasping loudly, clearly ready to stop. She didn't call out to me to slow down, or to assure me that we'd make it in time. She just continued to run.

I know we can make it. We will! We have to! My head began to flood with images of me at the Pokemon League, taking on Trainers and their powerful Pokemon.

*

Charizard using Flamethrower with all his might.

Primeape swinging the decisive blow to win the match.

Baltoy using a powerful Psychic attack to hold the opponent in the air.

Kingdra using Hydro Pump with full force.

Hoothoot using Fly from above to take down an opponent.

*

Robin, I thought with a smile. I could see our battle at the Pokemon League.

*

"Catherine! GO!" Robin yells, throwing her Poke Ball.

"Squirtle!" Catherine cries out excitedly, staring past my Charizard, directly at me.

"She's still a Squirtle!!!" June shrieks dramatically from the stands, her hands pressed against her cheeks, her eyes wide in horror, shedding tears rapidly, mouth agape.

"Catherine, end this battle with Hydro Pump!" Robin orders.

"Squirtle!" Catherine ignores Robin's order, runs past Charizard, and leaps into the air, arms outstretched, and wraps my neck in a hug with her little arms.

"Squirtle refuses to battle! Gary is the winner! The Pokemon League Champion is Gary from Pallet Town!!!"

The crowd cheers excitedly, rushing to me from the bleachers.

I thank everyone and sign autographs, holding Catherine in one arm.

Gorgeous, immodestly dressed, shapely women are fawning over me.

I turn to Robin and seeing him on his knees, head in his hands, crying miserably.

*

I closed my eyes and shook my head hard. NO! I yelled angrily in my head. That won't happen. It won't! Robin will give me the best battle possible. It won't end like that! Not again! Never again! I was angry now, my eyebrows furrowed, and I ran even faster, pushed on by the urge to prove my thought of my battle with Robin, wrong.

From out of nowhere, a huge stream of fire hit the ground from the air above!

I yelled in shock as June screamed and we both stopped just several feet from the sudden blaze!