To Read, Or Not To Read

June and the Butterfree girl stared at each other intently, their cold glares sending chills throughout my own body just from watching them. They didn't move an inch. They just stood there, several feet apart from each other, the tall grass swaying by their knees in a gentle breeze.

The Butterfree sat on its owner's shoulder, glaring at June, still as a portrait.

I was frozen solid, unwilling to move, fear pumping throughout my body. I almost felt like I would rather nobody move and we all just stay still forever and not battle.

June was the first to finally move, startling me after such a long time of nobody budging.

"Magneton, I choose you!" June threw her Poke Ball.

I watched as the Poke Ball spun through the air and opened, a white beam firing out and turning into June's Pokemon.

"Magneton!" the grouped up magnets said mechanically.

"Oh, wow," I said in a low, stunned voice. I was finally seeing another one of June's Pokemon!

Magneton. The Magnet Pokemon. Magneton, like their pre-evolved form, Magnemite, are very shy and don't tend to bother humans. If threatened, they discharge electricity in defense. They can often be found in power plants or where large deposits of metal can be found.

"Then, I choose Venonat!" The Butterfree girl threw her Poke Ball which sent out Venonat, who stared at Magneton.

Venonat. The Insect Pokemon. Their eyes are highly developed and are used to capture prey found at night.

"Thunderbolt, now!" June began.

"Magnetoooooon!" Magneton sparked with electricity.

Venonat leaped out of the way and dodged the attack, continuously hopping and dancing over the electricity.

Neither Trainer gave orders, both watching Venonat leap and run from the Thunderbolt, June and the Butterfree girl watching intensely.

My heart was pounding hard as I watched, my arms and legs shaking.

Magneton stopped attacking and Venonat stopped moving. They both eyed each other, awaiting orders.

June stared at Venonat with bared teeth, but didn't say a word.

The Butterfree girl kept her eyes on Magneton, but didn't give a command to Venonat. She looked over to June. "I guess it's our turn. Venonat, use Supersonic!"

Venonat leaped into the air and pointed the top of its head at Magneton, firing blue circles at it.

June just watched, not speaking.

Magneton was hit with the attack and its eyes turned red, now Confused.

June didn't take her eyes off of Venonat.

"Psychic attack!" the Butterfree girl commanded.

Venonat's eyes glowed light blue and Magneton's body was outlined in the same color. "Veno. Nat!"

Magneton was slammed repeatedly to the ground, controlled completely by Venonat. "Magneton! Magneton!" Magneton let out.

June kept glaring hard at Venonat. She didn't speak. She only focused on Venonat, seeming to be strongly focused on it.

Neither girl said a word for a little.

"Zen Headbutt!" the Butterfree girl went.

Venonat's eyes turned back to their normal red color and it leaped at Magneton, its head glowing blue, and tackled Magneton.