xix. unneccessary fear

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

CHAPTER NINETEEN. UNNECESSARY FEAR

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Being back at Hogwarts and away from her aunt and uncle should have made Evangeline feel ecstatic. However, once again, she was not happy to go back. This time it was because of her aunt. More specifically, what she said.

"You're going to get them and yourself killed! I hope you know that!" It had been echoing in her mind since that night. She wanted to believe that the woman's words were not true. But a part of her felt as though they were. Because she may have stood up for herself with her aunt and uncle, but when it came down to it, she would still have to do their bidding. They wouldn't give her a choice.

She was walking into the school with Vivian by her side. The older girl could not believe what Evangeline had said. A large wave of pride had crashed into her when Evangeline recounted the story to her. At the moment, Vivian was babbling on and on about something that Evangeline was not paying attention to, her mind on the future. Hers as well as her sister's.

"Hello! Earth to Angi!" Vivian said, snapping her fingers in the girl's face. The girl in question turned to her, eyebrows raised. "Did you hear anything that I just said?" Vivian asked. Evangeline bit her lip, "Yes?" Vivian let out a sigh. "Sorry, I'm just thinking," Evangeline apologized. "About?" The older girl questioned. It was Evangeline's turn to sigh, "Something that aunt Matilda said to me when we were arguing."

"You never told me that she said something to you. What was it?" Vivian said. Evangeline's eyes lowered to the ground as they entered the Great Hall. "It doesn't matter," she muttered. "It does if it's bothering you," Vivian replied. A body squeezed its way in between the two, placing an arm around both of the girls' shoulders. "How are my favorite Caspian siblings doing on this fine day?" Fred asked, a large smile on his face.

Vivian smiled back at him as George popped up next her. "That depends, what time is it?" She said. Evangeline shrugged Fred's arm off of her shoulder and walked ahead of them, sitting at an empty part of the long table. "What's her problem?" George asked. Vivian only shrugged her shoulders, wondering the same thing.

Vivian and the Weasley twins took seats around her at the table. The three began conversing, the two boys telling Vivian about their Christmas and Vivian doing the same. Evangeline stared ahead, different scenarios running through her mind. Each one resulted in the deaths of the people she was growing to care about. More of those people came over to them.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione made their way over to the four seated at the table. Vivian stood, greeting the three warmly. Evangeline didn't notice their presence. "What, no greeting from the the great Evangeline Caspian? Too busy eating to say hi?" It was obviously a joke, the others around her laughing at it. But Evangeline didn't even register that someone had spoken to her. She just continued to stare ahead.

Ron's eyebrows furrowed and Hermione took a step closer to her. "Evangeline?" He asked. He got no response. "Hey, are you all right?" Hermione asked, placing a hand on her shoulder. The girl jumped at the contact, looking at Hermione with wide eyes. "What?" She questioned, looking around at the teenagers stood around her, all adorning looks of concern. "What's wrong?" Harry asked, moving closer to her, Ron doing the same.

She shook her head, "N-nothing. I'm fine." They gave her disbelieving looks and she stood. "I-I gotta go." She quickly pushed past them, exiting the Great Hall. Ronald Weasley was hot on her trail. "Hey! Evangeline!" He called but she continued walking, picking up her pace. Ron ran to catch up to her, gripping her upper arm and turning her to face him. He panted slightly, "Bloody hell, you walk fast."

"Let me go," she said. He immediately let go of her arm and stared at her intently, eyes holding concern. "What's wrong?" He asked softly. "Nothing's wrong, all right? I'm fine," she replied. "You don't look fine," he said, looking her up and down. "Why do you even care how I'm feeling?" She asked, growing angry all of a sudden. "B-because, you're my friend," he answered.

She sighed and looked away from him. "Did something happen during break? With your aunt and uncle?" He asked. "I don't want to talk about my break, ok?" She said. He quickly nodded, "Yeah, sure. Ok." He looked at her with sad eyes and she looked away again. "Look, you don't have to tell me what's wrong. But you should talk to someone," he said.

She looked up at him, briefly staring at him before shaking her head. Tears sprung into her eyes and she struggled to keep them from falling. "I don't think we should hang out anymore," she said. Ron looked taken aback. "What? Why not?" He asked. "It's just not safe, ok? I could get you guys killed," she said. Ron almost laughed, "You? If anything, I could get you killed."

She sighed in aggravation. "You don't understand," she said. "Then explain it to me," he responded. She bit her lip, looking down at the ground. How could she tell him that her aunt and uncle were Death Eaters and that some day soon, she would be one too? How could she explain to him that if Voldemort knew that she was associating herself with him, he'd be killed for sure. And maybe, so would she.

"It's, complicated," she mumbled and Ron scoffed. "You and I, we're not the same. We don't come from similar families. We weren't raised the same. I'm gonna have to do things. Things that I don't want to do but have to, because I don't have a choice. And my life isn't gonna be all rainbows and sunshine," she said. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "What are you talking about?" He asked. She shook her head again, "Nevermind, forget it. Just, just leave me alone."

Ron looked at her, hurt taking over his features before nodding. "Right. I'll just leave you to your thoughts then," he said, turning around and making his way back to the Great Hall. Evangeline's bottom lip quivered, a few tears escaping her eyes. She roughly wiped them away, watching him leave. She then turned on her heel and made her way to her dorm.

••••

Probably the shortest chapter that I've written. I didn't want to extend it out further then what it is now. I hope you enjoyed it.

 I hope you enjoyed it