The Fault in our Species

Episode Three

It was early the next morning, just before dawn. The Fog around the mountain gave the Appalachian a ominous look.

"Alright, Lillith, tell me why you're here." Hazel demanded.

"I'm here for Dora's funeral." Lillith answered.

"You know my Aunt Dora? " Hazel asked.

"Of course! We were best friends." Lillith said.

"You, you are the vampire that told her about the magical world. She told me about you, but never your name." Hazel realized.

"Yeah. But now I'm here to help you cope with being a vampire. Its not easy and these New Borns don't understand." Lillith said.

Hazel liked that Lillith was going to help her with vampirism. She was also happy to meet Lillith. It was like a piece golf her aunt was still alive.

†††

Hazel looked at herself in the mirror. She was expecting to see nothing, but the mirror thing must have been a myth.

She wore all black clothing. It was depressing. Then again, funerals aren't suppose to be happy occasions.

She looked down and saw a razor blade. She felt nothing but pain from everything. She had to end it somehow. Normally she would oppose self harm, but things were different.

She took the razor and dug it into her skin and dragged it down her arm. She couldn't deny that it brought her pleasure.

She looked down and saw dry blood and a quick healing wound. It didn't do much good, but it seemed to help.

"Dear lord." Gasped Lillith.

Hazel turned around hiding the razor from Lillith's sight. She threw it down the sink drain.

"What? I'm just looking at myself." Hazel lied.

Lillith grabbed her arm and held it up, like it was a trophy that she had just won at a fair.

"You're hurting yourself. I don't approve of this Hazel." Lillith said.

Hazel slid to the ground, crying. She covered her eyes. Blood seeped through her fingers.

"Is this blood? I can't handle this! " Hazel cried more.

Lillith pulled her in for a hug. She began to stroke her hair, that seemed to help somehow.

†††

Hazel stood there and stared at the freshly covered ground. She felt emotionless. Doranne was gone, a piece of Hazel was dead. What was going to happen next.

Godrick walked over holding a blood red rose in his hand. He threw it on the hay covered earth and looked at Hazel.

"Never met her. She seemed wise." He said.

She looked at him. For once she saw sincerity in his red eyes. She walked over and hugged him, crying onto his blazer.

"She didn't deserve this. I should have just died at the school like Alice wanted. I signed her death." She cried.

"Lillith is going to train you on how to be a vampire, is that okay? " Godrick asked.

"Yes." Hazel said. She knew she couldn't accomplish this on her own. She needed assistance.

†††

Lillith held blood out in front of her face. They glowed red and her fangs revealed. She shook her head and they vanished.

"Good job! You're getting better. In a week, those fangs won't come out, unless you want them to." Lillith said.

"This is hard. Why is it hard?" Hazel asked.

"Because Hazel, we're vampires. Every species has its faults." Lillith explained.

"Vampires have no faults." Said Valeska snootily.

"Valeska Corridor, what a unwonderful surprise." Lillith moaned.

"You two.... Know each other? " Asked Hazel.

"We go way back." Valeska said, not taking an eye off of Lillith.

"I used to date her brother, Syndrick." Lillith replied

This surprised Hazel. She had never heard of Syndrick Corridor. Then she remembered the night Valeska threw the party, she saw paintings of all the Corridors, and a man she had never seen before.

"You guys never told me you had another brother." Hazel confronted Valeska.

"Didn't think it was important. He died the night we turned into vampires."

"That can't be right." Lillith laughed.

"Oh yeah you snobby little whore? Explain how." Valeska said.

"I was turned in 1016, after you claim he died." Lillith explained.

"Okay, what does that have to do with Syndrick?" Valeska asked.

"Because my creator was Syndrick." Lillith grimly answered.