Chapter no. 8

I was about to sleep but the weather outside made me think opposite of that.

7 Feb.

My birthday , it was so bad that baba , Uncle , mama , Aunt and Mariah were not there.

How the hell I was going to Celebrate my birthday alone.

I checked the time on my phone. 11:56 pm.

I sighed.

There was no use for waiting , I would never get those birthday wishes from my friends , they're just too lazy to stay awake till midnight.

Sleepy heads.

My phone rung.

Ali.

I picked it up and smiled at the other line.

" My bestie has turned 18. My bestie has turned mature. My bestie , Happy , Happy Birthday. Happy , Happy Birthday. Happy birthday Hareem Nasir Ali Khan ". He sung , making me chuckle.

His deep and rough voice was not helping a happy birthday song to sing.

" Thank you, Ali ".

I heard him yawn.

" Okay , cutie pie. I'm going to sleep. I had to gulp down two coffee cups to stay awake this late. Kay , Good night. Take care and dream Sweet ". With that , he turned off his phone.

I was about to go in , when I heard the sounds of fireworks. I lifted my head up to sky and was amazed to see random color dancing in the sky.

I turned to my back to see if Ali came out of his room but of course , he'd be fast asleep.

" Happy birthday ".

My head jerked to my right at the sudden sound.

My jaw dropped , Hashir was standing there with a dark chocolate pastry in one hand and a Candle in other hand.

He did this ?!

I was so shocked to respond.
He spoke.

" I know that you are shocked. Of course , why wouldn't you be ! In my entire life , I have wished you for the first time ".
He said.

" Second time Hash. You don't remember but I do. On my 8th birthday you had wished me. You said ' I'm the first to wish you'. Don't you remember ?"

He nodded.

" So..." He trailed off , chocolate pastry was near my mouth then but his arm hung in air not moving an inch closer.

He was awkwardly standing while his hand was extended.

At that time , I wanted to forget everything between us. All his broken Promises , my broken heart.

I just wanted to enjoy the moment , make it last long. I closed the gap and ate a mouthful of pastry.

He was shocked at first , then a widest grin covered his face. He chuckled unbelievably.

As if I wouldn't eat the pastry.

The candle was still in his hand. I looked at the candle.

" Uh , what to do with it?"
I pointed at the candle.

" I don't even know ". He chuckled nervously.

The fireworks emerged in the sky again. His light brown eyes twinkling in the random colorful lights.

He stared at me like it was last time he was seeing me.
I did not feel uncomfortable under his gaze , I was staring in his beautiful eyes back , memorizing the amazing colors his eyes reflected in the light of fireworks.

My phone ruined the moment.

" Hey , Happy Birthday my love ". I chuckled at voice.

I hadn't heard her voice since Long.

" Hey , Thanks yarr. I missed you so much Maha , where have you been ? ".
I asked her.

Hashir mouthed.
' I should get going '.

I nodded and listened to Maha as she talked about her exams and her teacher Crush.

I laughed , the girl was crazily in love with her female teacher.

Next thing , unexpected happened.

His lips lingered on my hairs. I stiffened , not knowing what to do.

He pulled away and turned on his heels , walking away.

I was too shocked to collect my thoughts.

" Oi , are you there ? "

" Mahi , Can I talk to you later ? Thank you bye".
I didn't wait for her reply and hung up.

I sat back on my Sofa. The leftover Pastry and Candle sat there.

You are so heartless Hasher Khan. You only care about what you need you do. You never cared about what I wanted. You make me fall for you. You push me away. You never answer to the questions that could solve everything.
The problem is not that I love you. The problem is that you don't love me.

The candle was standing at the edge of my diary's page. A bit of the candle melted and fell on my page , rubbing away a word. A single word that could make me happy and sad both at the same. A single word that could be erased away from the page but not from my life.

The word was.
Don't.

I sat there trying to wrap my thoughts and feeling in a simple box.
The flame of candle and the taste of chocolate in my mouth said much.

I wasn't prepared to hear.

___________________________________________