Distracted

I tapped my pencil lightly on my textbook as I studied in the library.

Watcha studyin' for?

A quiz.

For?

English. 

Oh.

"Funny seeing you here".

I looked up from my book and saw Chresanto.

Oh, great! He's here!

Your sarcasm is choking me.

"Can I sit?" 

I nodded and watched as he sat down.

"So I was um... Wondering if you wanted to, maybe, I don't know, you don't have to. Never mind". 

I think he's trying to ask you out on a date.

I stared at him. 

OH MY GOD!

I flinched at the sudden yelling in my brain and I covered my ears. 

Oh, sorry, sorry. 

I'm sorry.

"Hey, are you okay?" 

I looked up at Chresanto and slowly dropped my hands to my sides. I nodded a little.

God, I bet I looked like an idiot.

Why do you care if you looked like an idiot in front of him?

I don't know.

"I see you're studying?"

I nodded, and flipped my textbook over so he could see the title: English ll.

"Oh, cool".

I shook my head a little and waved my hand in the air in a dismissing way.

He chuckled, "where's your whiteboard?" 

I bit my lip lightly as I pulled it out from my bag.

I placed it down on the table and looked at him. 

His chocolate brown eyes looked right back at me. 

Are you two having a staring contest?

I looked away. 

No.

"You've got pretty eyes" Chresanto suddenly spoke, "never really noticed that before".

I felt my cheeks grow warm and I knew I was blushing. I smiled a little.

Is he flirting with you? I think he's flirting with you. He can't do that! He's not allowed. I won't allow it.

Shush, Jacob. 

"Pretty smile, too". 

I hid my face behind my textbook. Why was he doing this to me? HOW was he doing this to me? If it had been any other time in my life, I would've told him to fuck off, so why not now? Why, all of a sudden, did he have me blushing?

I watched as my book was slowly pulled from my hands, the pages left a lingering touch on my thumbs before vanishing completely. 

I looked up.

"You wanna do me a favor?"

I nodded a little. 

"Go out with me sometime?"

I stared at him. 

Like, like on a date?

He nodded, "mhm". 

Me?

"Yes".

Why?

"Because I wanna talk to you outside of school".

I stared at him. 

"And because I think I like you". 

You think?

"Yeah".

And what if you don't?

"I'm pretty sure I do".

Then why'd you say you think?

"Did you do this with Jacob, too? Or are you doing it because it's me". 

Because it's you.

"Ah, okay".

I stared at him. 

"May I ask why?" 

Because I don't know if I should trust you. You hurt Jacob once, you hurt the person I loved the most. You weren't the reason he killed himself, but you surely were one of the reasons as to why he would bring a blade down onto his skin. 

"I know, I kind of figured that, and I'm sorry. I regret it, I really do; but if you could just give me a chance?" 

I stared at his chocolate brown eyes once more, until my eyes scanned his soft, gentle facial features. Maybe I could give him a chance. Maybe he's changed. Maybe.

Okay.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for any mistakes.

Love,

Me.