Regret is a Bastard

"For fuck sake, Gerard!" Frank slammed his fist down on the kitchen table, "I'm getting really fucking tired of this!"

Gerard sighed and raked a hand through his hair.

"Frank..." He bit his lip, "I'm sorry, okay?"

Frank pushed himself away from the table and stood up, going into the living room.

"Frank, please!" Gerard followed him, "Please forgive me."

Frank ignored him.

He stopped once he was in the middle of the room and turned and faced his husband.

"I just..." Frank shook his head, "This is the third time."

"I know!" Gerard knew he had really screwed up this time.

Frank was silent for a minute and Gerard anxiously waited to see what he would say next.

Frank sighed before anger flashed through his eyes again.

"No!" He burst, "I can't! Not again, Gerard! I can't keep forgiving you just so you can go and do it again."

Tears welled up in Gerard's eyes.

"I couldn't help myself..." He whimpered, "I was weak. I won't do it again, I promise!"

Frank merely shook his head again and said, "I don't believe you. I told you last time I wouldn't be able to again. You said last time you wouldn't do it again. And I believed you like the fucking idiot I am. Look where we are, Gerard. In the same fucking place yet again! I'm not doing this again."

Gerard couldn't believe it.

He felt the sofa behind him and backed down into it.

He dropped his head into his hands.

"Do you not care about me? Do you not care about our relationship? Is this some kind of sick joke? See how far you can push me until I snap or some shit? Because that's not funny, Gee."

"Of course I care about you! I love you!" Gerard snapped his head up, "I honestly promise I will never do it again!"

"Don't bullshit me, Way!"

Frank rarely addressed Gerard by his last name but when he did, it wasn't a good sign.

"...Iero-Way..." Gerard corrected quietly.

"You don't deserve my last name. Not now," Frank spat.

Gerard dropped his head again.

"Just... You know what? Get out."

Gerard couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"What?" He slowly stood up.

"Get-get out, Gerard," Frank was crying now.

"Frank..."

"Fucking GET OUT!" Full on tears streamed down Frank's face.

Gerard knew there was nothing he could say to change Frank's mind so he slowly walked to the door.

He grabbed his jacket off the hook and pulled it on.

He sent one last longing look at Frank.

"I'm sorry..." He mumbled.

Frank just shook it off and looked away from him.

Gerard hung his head, opened the front door and stepped into the crisp night air.

When the door closed behind him, he leaned against it and just broke.

He started full on sobbing, not bothering to wipe his eyes.