Chapter 39:

The bandaged figure stepped out, causing the group to all tense up

The bandaged figure stepped out, causing the group to all tense up. Kira whipped out her sword, prepared to fight. "Like I promised, Stiles. We're going to kill all of them." The nogitsune growled out. "One by one."

The oni appeared, surrounding them. "What the hell is this? Where are we?" Scott demanded, eyeing the demonic ninja warily. Seeing them just brought flashes of what they did to Allison and he was flooded with anger.

"Between life and death."

Lydia looked at it and remembered what Kira had told them what seemed like forever ago. "Bardo."

"But there are no peaceful deities here, Lydia." It told her. "You're dying, Stiles. And now everyone you care about is dying, too."

Emily felt Stiles stiffen up beside her, she was on guard with the oni around them. "What? What do you mean?" Stiles asked, worried about everyone else they had left unprotected. His dad and Melissa were humans but they couldn't protect themselves against whatever the nogitsune had planned.

"I've captured almost all of the territories on the board, Stiles." The nogitsune taunted, having sent oni to each location. "The hospital. The sheriff's station. And now the animal clinic." That got Scott's attention. "Do you know the ritual of seppuku, Stiles?"

"No, and I don't want to." Stiles held Emily's hand tighter.

She clenched her other hand tighter, knowing what the evil spirit was talking about and didn't like the mention of the topic. It didn't bode well.

The nogitsune ignored him and began to explain, "When a samurai disembowels himself with his own sword to maintain his honor, but that's not the cut that kills him. The killing stroke is made by his kaishakunin, who beheads the samurai with his own katana." He pointed to the True Alpha who tensed. "Scott... Scott is your kaishakunin. I'm going to make your best friend kill you, Stiles. And you're going to let him. Because just like you, they're all going to die. Everyone touched by an Oni's blade. Unless Scott kills you first."

Stiles and the rest didn't move as the nogitsune stood inches away from him. "Why? Why are you doing this?" He demanded, he didn't see why him and his friends were the one's being targeted by the nogitsune.

"To win the game."

Just as he answered, the oni started swinging their swords around.

Emily turned to both Lydia and Stiles with a serious expression, "You two need to get back now!" She yelled, ducking under the sword and joined in the fight.

Stiles watched in worry as the three supernaturals fought against the oni. "This can't be real." Lydia said, her eyes wide with fear as she watched Scott almost get cut in half.

He scoffed, "Yeah, tell that to them."

He gasped, watching Emily snap one of their necks except it didn't seem to have any effect as the oni tried to slice her with the sword. It was nerve wracking watching them all fight while he couldn't do anything.