Chapter 6:

Madison's pov

"We're going to start first with your bareback riding, the bridle will remain on for now" those were Ariel's first instructions.

I was over the moon that she agreed to coach me. I could see that she was hesitant but she agreed anyways. For that, I was grateful. We decided to start right away since both of us had nothing to do. Ariel let Storm stay in the arena with us since he would just stand by her side. It made me smile when I saw how loyal Storm was, reminding me of how Koda always did that when I let him out into a paddock.

I quickly start taking the saddle and saddle pad off, eager to start asap. I raced to put my gear away and steal one of the mounting blocks. Koda was way to tall for me to just hop on. It would take a while of practice for me to get on without a mounting block. As I arrive back, Ariel leads Koda over and holds him for me as I prepare to get on.

"Try to be gentle when you get on, making sure you aren't hurting his back" Ariel instructs.

I nod and comply with what she said, completely focussed. At first when I hopped on, it felt a little funny. I haven't ridden bareback in a very long time. The first and last time was about a year ago, when I was trying to teach myself. I had just started out when Olivia caught me in action. She had given me a massive lecture about how irresponsible it was for me to start doing something like that alone. I had begged her for ages to teach me since she was good at it. Not only that, but she was probably the only student at Willow Lane who knew what she was doing. Every time she had said no, explaining that it was a waste of her training time. But now I didn't need her, I had Ariel to teach me. It wasn't long until I adjusted to the new feeling and was comfortable in a walk.

"While you go around, make sure you always keep your legs relaxed, and never tense or grip" Ariel explains.

"What happens if you do?" I ask dumbly.

"You'll loose balance and probably fall off" Ariel shrugs, like its normal to her.

"What speed do you think would be the hardest?" I question, wanting to learn as much as possible.

"It varies between all horses since not all of them have the same gait" Ariel responds.

"Of course" I said, wanting to kick myself for asking such a stupid question.

"Your position looks really good, do you want to try continuing that but at a trot?" Ariel asks, moving back to give Koda and I some space.

"Alright" I answer, making sure I do just as Ariel says.

Taking a deep breath, I ask Koda for a trot. Since the gelding was very sensitive to cues, I barely had to twitch my leg. Koda strolls into a slow trot. At first I find myself tensing and starting to loose balance. Forcing myself to relax, the trot becomes smooth again and I start to smile. Bareback was so fun!! As I bring him back into a walk, I go back over to Ariel.

"What do you think" I ask nervously.

"Overall, it was a great attempt for you first try. I liked that you caught yourself tensing and remembered to relax again" Ariel compliments.

"Thanks, I know it's not as good as your riding but I think if I work on it, I'll improve" I said, not sure if she was saying that just to give me confidence or was actually serious.

"It all takes time and practice, don't feel like you have to rush" Ariel says genuinely.

"Thanks" I smile weakly.

"I'm going to go put Storm in the paddock, but when I get back, we can start cantering if your like?" Ariel reassures.

"That would be great and take your time, Koda and I aren't going anywhere anytime soon" I said, starting on a twenty meter circle.