Chapter 40:

Madison's pov

Odin was stubborn as stubborn can be. He tried to resist everything Ariel was asking of him. But Ariel wasn't taking no for an answer. She chased the gelding away, no letting him come anywhere near her. All while doing this, she spoke to the crowd through her ear piece.

"Horses are herd animals... I've never met a horse that doesn't seek acceptance. However, Odin thinks he's the dominant horse. By driving him away, he learns I'm the boss. And because horses don't like being pushed away from the herd, Odin will want to come back to me-"

Odin tries to turn a different way but Ariel stops him, continuing to drive him around the pen.

"There's three cues that can tell you when the horse wants to join up. Licking and chewing of the mouth. An ear facing towards you, and finally, smaller circles" Ariel continues.

Odin pig roots and seems to have a complete meltdown in front of us. If I wasn't nervous for Ariel, I would've laughed with the rest of the crowd. As he begins to settle, his circles become smaller. The crowd become quiter, watching intently. Ariel doesn't let him stop, continuing to drive him.

Slowly, an ear turns to Ariel and Odin begins chewing.

Ariel stops driving him away and lowers her body tension. Odin goes from a canter, into a trot and then a walk. He stops in his place and watches Ariel. Slowly he begins to walk in and Ariel turns away. Odin stops once he reaches her side, keeping a respectful distance.

Ariel gives him a pat before beginning to walk around the pen. Odin follows her like a lost puppy, continuing to keep the respectful distance. He no longer tried to stand all over Ariel and instead, wanted to be near her.

People clap as she stops. "The join up is something I find that really helps your horse gain respect. Without that respect, we find that horses like Odin begin to misbehave. It's vital for everyone to have that respect with their horses"

"How do we know he'll be like that with everyone?" Someone calls.

Ariel smiles. "Just like teaching a horse dressage, it's not something they learn and remember immediately. We've got to continue the training. Odin now has a foundation of respect, but it will disappear again if we don't remain consistent in handling him. Horses aren't machines"

The group all seem to collectively nod, some even taking notes.

"Maddy?" Ariel calls.

Immediately, I throw her a helmet and quickly put on Odin's tack while she speaks.

"I would recommend that who ever Odin is assigned to next does a join up with him. He's the kind of horse that really needs direction until he gets some proper consistency in his training..."

As I finish tightening his girth, I put on his bridle.

"Due to Odin's lack of respect, he'd become lazy and unobliging. Now that he has that respect, he should follow my cues more willingly" Ariel says.

She puts her foot in the stirrup and swings into his saddle. Odin shifts but he doesn't take any steps until Ariel asks. I open the pen gate and Odin trots past, into the main arena. She clucks and Odin breaks into a slow canter.

She squeezes her legs and instead of doing his trademark pig root, Odin picks up the pace. It was known all around the barn that once Odin locked onto a jump, there's no changing his mind. So imagine their surprise when Ariel weaves him through the jumps, not letting Odin jump any. He switches leads between jumps and everyone peers over the fence.

"For those who don't know Odin, he's the kind of horse who wants to do what he wants, when he wants. He would fight his rider every step of the way if they let him. He would buck, or jump any obstacle he locks onto, ignoring his riders commands. But as you can see, he's no longer ignoring my cues or trying to throw me off. He's behaving like a completely different horse" Ariel says proudly.

The same student from before pipes up. "How do we know he's not just adjusted to your riding?"

I roll my eyes.

Ariel brings Odin back over to the group and dismounts. "Madison, would you be happy to take him around?"

I shrug. "Gladly"

She passes me the helmet helmet before giving me a leg up.

Odin's ears flicker between Ariel and I hesitantly. Squeezing the reins, I have Odin back away from the group before turning him for the jumps. Just as Ariel had done, I pick up a canter and allow him to lock onto a jump. Once we're closer, I weave him around the jump instead.

He listens and does a flying lead change along the way. His big strides and flashy moves were definitely enough to wow the crowd. After we weave between the jumps once more, I return to the group.

Ariel was answering questions and giving out tips, all of it seeming so natural for her.

I pat Odin and his head lowers sleepily.

"Maddy, would you be able to take him over the jumps?" Ariel asks.

I nod happily. "Sure"

After picking up Odin's expression canter, I line him up for the jumps. We have no issues flying over the first vertical before proceding to an oxer. Odin begins to pick up his pace, however I hold him back. He chews at the bit but listens, popping over the oxer with plenty of room to spare. After bouncing over more jumps, I decide to weave him through the jumps on our way back.

Once we stop next to Ariel again, I dismount. After all Odin's tantrums today, I knew he was tired. His eyes were half closed as I gave him a pat. While Ariel continued to answer questions, I walked Odin back to the barn. Soon enough, all Odin's gear was off and his face was buried in his hay net.

On my way back to Ariel's clinic, I briefly stop by Koda and Storm's stalls. Storm was facing away, drinking from his water bucket while Koda nickers. His head reaches out to me in hopes for some attention. Unable to resist, I give him a scratch and hug.

He's always my number one.