20: Encounter on the Bridge

A/N: HEY GUYS!! Decided to post a chapter after work today.

I will give you guys a warning. This chapter does dive into mental/emotional problems and attempted suicide. If those topics are touchy for you, you've been warned.

But hey, that's how a reaper in this universe is created, after all. Through suicide. But if you are going through those sorts of thoughts seek out help. At least talk to a trusted individual about your problems. Trust me. You're not alone. And even if you feel that way, there's always someone out there who can help you.

But anyways... enough about that. I think I'll post the conclusion chapter to this soon after posting this chapter. And we're getting closer to my writer's block, so I apologize if I don't post anything on this story for a while. Or maybe you'll see more from me soon! We'll see!! But here's a heads up.

I hope you guys ENJOY this chapter and the next chapter, and ENJOY YOURSELVES!!!

!@#$%^&*())(*&^%$#@!

A tired sigh left your breath as you stepped out of a bakery, a boxed cake in your hands as you calmly made your way back to the Undertaker's shop. Since the moment you showed up, and the two of you discovered you both loved sweets, you've gone out of your way to search around London, looking for every bakery you spotted and buying the most delicious looking cake you could find. Now that you're staying at his place, it's easier to indulge in your sweet tooth by having your usual 'break dessert' during dinner, instead.

So with a cake in your hands, you happily made your way back to the shop, without a care in the world. You didn't have to work today, and you got back from the Midford's place hours earlier then you expected.

But what you didn't except to notice was a particular grim reaper, perched on top of a building, with an opened book in his hands.

You narrowed your eyes in suspicion before pretending you didn't spot him and continuing on your way down the street. William T. Spears. Mister supervisor of the London division, or whatever. He would only show up unless... it's a special case, right? Unless, in this moment of time, he's actually just another field officer going about his work.

But you have this inkling in the back of your head that it isn't the case.

And your suspicions were correct as you spotted him. A young man. With one foot hanging off of the railing, while the other was slowly catching up with him. He stood on the edge of the bridge, having climbed over the railing with his hands gripping the steel, staring into the watery abyss below.

You could tell, just by looking at him, that he was questioning everything. Telling himself that he's worthless. His life is worthless. He doesn't need to be saved. He was beyond that, now. That... there's no point to living, anymore.

You couldn't stand by and watch this. Even if it meant breaking a self-proclaimed rule of yours so you wouldn't get into trouble. After all, you're human, right? You can get away with helping someone who is obviously in need... right?

"... The water sure looks beautiful, today," you stated, as calmly and gently as you could muster, causing the man to snap his head and look at you with wide, frightful eyes, his eyes lingering upon your black and gray dress, and pinned back blackened hair, before staring into your violet eyes and turning to look off blankly into the distance.

"A-ah... yes. Yes, it is."

"... Any reason why you're not enjoying the view from the middle of the bridge, instead of out on the ledge, like that?"

"Miss, please. I wouldn't want to trouble you –"

"You're not troubling me at all. I just wanted to see what you were up to," you smiled, calmly and confidently making your way to the railing, acting as if his stiffness and hesitant gaze was unnoticeable. But it's obvious that he wasn't expecting anyone to show up. That a human would care to stop him, at all. Luckily for him, you are another human. Not some beast looking to devour him, or an angel looking to cleanse him, or even a reaper to take his soul. No, you're just here. Simply... there.