16: The Generations of Phantoms

You calmly sat down, accepting the tea that was offered to you, and your eyes couldn't help but look around the extravagant room as you waited for the boring formalities to pass you by. "You're excused," you heard Lady, or rather Marquis, Francis state, and you watched the butler disappear out of the room, leaving the two of you alone... and you sipped on your hot tea, trying to not look nervous by her cold, deadly stare. "... The boy wants me to keep up with the little story the two of you have created, but my question is why?" she asked, a slight scoff leaving her breath while you slowly set your teacup upon a nearby saucer, and you bit down on your bottom lip as you wondered if you should really tell the truth.

You sighed. There's no way you could lie to her, even if you wanted to. Her eyes were cold and calculating... and... horribly familiar. It's like you were staring into your own reflection, when you gaze into those cold eyes, and you don't know if you should be disturbed or amused by that. "... Lady Midford," you began, sitting back in your chair and staring at her from across the coffee table, "what do you know about... supernatural creatures and even sorcery. Do you believe in that sort of thing?"

"Why, what a strange question –"

"Do you?" you had to ask, and noticing the tired look crossing the irritable woman's face you would have to conclude that she does, but it's not a very pleasant memory, apparently.

"Of course I do. What sort of former Phantomhive would I be if I didn't know something so simple. Yes, us humans aren't the only intelligent life forms roaming about. Even the Devil is real... Why do you ask?"

"Okay, well... I wanted to ask because my story is a bit unbelievable," you decided to state, "and... if you don't have an open mind then you'll just find me crazy."

"Perhaps, but that depends on your story," Francis stated, and you gave her a meek smile before glancing away and letting a slight pout appear upon your face.

"I, ah... I don't belong...

"I don't belong to this time or this place," you spat out, your eyes turning to glance over at her for a brief moment before you huffed and sat up a bit straighter in your chair, but you casually crossed one leg over the other as you slumped your arm onto the armrest of the chair. "A few weeks ago, almost a month a believe, I woke up in the Phantomhive manor, in a time that had already passed. You see, I come from the future where technology has advanced enough that you don't need candles to light your way at night, the automobile is a common form of transportation, and... and the manor is old and decrypted with no soul living there... unless they have to.

"In some ways, my lies were truthful. I was born and mostly raised in America. In the western portion of the country. I have a little sister and a mother who I love dearly, and a spiteful aunt that wants my inheritance. At least my father was decent enough to not bother with changing his will," you decided to say, a slight irritated look crossing your face as you continued to blurt out your secrets to the woman, not really caring if she was believing you or not, but this certainly was a way to get your frustrations off of your chest. "You see... my mother... my parents met due to their fascination with the occult. The undead and demonic powers and that sort of thing. Not because they worshiped Satan or something like that, but because they were affected and wanted some answers... and they were curious.

"Well, eventually, they got married and I was born, then my sister, but my father was a cheating bastard and left her for another woman, practically abandoning us. I heard nothing from him after that, until the fire. Everyone died. No one survived. But the thing was, I was given my father's inheritance... not my aunt, and while she tried to force herself in as my legal guardian, considering my mother is still alive, she wasn't given the chance to.