27: Jolting Discovery

I felt utterly amused.

But horribly worried.

The moment I stepped foot in the reaper realm I knew something wasn't right. The alarm the most alert and awake officers could hear was resonating across the land, but all the while many were sound asleep.

Put underneath a spell, I quickly realized. A divine spell.

The work of angels.

I scoffed at the thought. It's not like I have anything against those creatures, but it's the same feeling I have with those devils. They simply get in the way of my work, is all. If it be soul collection or otherwise, they're always there, tampering with the natural cycle.

They say they are supposed to be there, but they are as unnatural as they come. Devils corrupt, and their demons are no better. Angels work for their master, but that doesn't mean they don't work independently. In fact, they usually do, and it always falls upon me to get rid of them.

But...

I couldn't help but worry for my little rose. If the demon butler doesn't really know where she went, and I cannot easily sense her, then where in the worlds has she disappeared to? Did she really... leave me?

No.

I'm jumping to conclusions, again.

I don't know why I really care, if I'm going to be honest. Probably because she's the first amusing human that's crossed my path in a while. Ever since my conception I've been interested in such mortal creatures. They can easily become corrupted, easily reach their demise and become saved, and redeemed.

The child, though...

She's different from my dear countess, but...

Something about her tells me that it's her. That's Claudia. I don't know why, but... it's there. Even if she acts differently, talks differently. She's...

The Claudia that wanted to life, but couldn't. Not in the restricted noble life she had to lead. Sure, I found her mannerisms alluring. She was strong and prideful, and could easily fall from her high perch. But...

By the gods, her soul was so enchanting.

I know that feeling. I only get that feeling when a particular soul comes along, a very old soul that continues to linger, even past its prime. For some reason, it continues to be reborn time and time again. Even if the little creature doesn't believe in rebirth, I certainly do.

I've seen enough souls come back in new forms, in new bodies to know who they once were. To see if they get to fulfill the life they wished to live or are forced to wallow, once more, in despair and end up reborn, again. A life that is fulfilling causes any soul to move on.

Some do not, as well.

But... Surely...

That's not Claudia? Or maybe...

Did the soul remember things that happened? Maybe that's it.

Either way, that girl, that Phantomhive, is hiding something. It's there, sitting in plain sight, but for some reason she can hide herself. Her true self. Why does this linage hide themselves so easily? Even from the immortal?? What makes them so... interesting?

But I don't want to lose her. Not yet, at least.

Selena... Yes... That girl is... so alluring...

And I absolutely hate it.

But I can't let her go, either. Not so soon. Not before I learn more about her.

Yet, something caused my feet to stop moving as I looked out over the landscape, noticing a shocking and hypnotic sight.