46

Approximately 4 months ago

"No one followed you right?" Donghyuck barely heard a voice rasp out.The voice had emerged from a crack in between the boards the blocked the broken window. Even from the distance that occupied where Jeno shifyed on his feet and where Donghyuck hid behind a corner, the sun kissed boy could still hear. Donghyuck could clearly hear them through the hollow night.

The sun kissed boy peeked past the brick corner. Jeno stood in front of one of the cracks in the woods that boarded up on the large window frames without an actual window. The night was even more empty than before. Jeno groaned and looked around in the dim light of the street poles. The younger boy shifted his feet and scanned his surroundings. An alarm went off in Donghyuck's mind and he ducked completely behind the corner of the building just as Jeno's eyes landed there. The sun kissed cursed under his breath silently, his heart now leaping in his chest as silence swam.

He gritted his teeth, hoping Jeno hadn't seen him. The wordless atmosphere remained, thicker now. It was seconds, Donghyuck only hear the beating of his heart in his ears as he tried to listen in. There was no footsteps, no words, no nothing. Donghyuck gulped and leaned back on the brick wall of the building, anxiety swimming in his chest.

"Yeah," Donghyuck heard Jeno voice, scratches of the bottom of his shoes scraped the cement on the ground as he turned, "just me."

*****

"You're unbelievable," Donghyuck hissed. It was cool that afternoon at the playground. The trees the crowded the area. Looming their branches over the three teens, lending them shade in their tense atmosphere. Normal Saturday afternoons like these were usually spent messing around.

Jeno, Jaemin and Donghyuck spent their usual weekends enjoying each other's company. Running around the neighborhood, finding new places to vandalize, making jokes about teachers at school, sharing silly secrets. Except this weekend wasn't normal. Nowhere near. Instead it was hot, despite the shade, there was nothing to shield Jeno from Donghyuck's boiling gaze.

They stood there stiffly, those three. There was a good distance between them in the middle of the play ground. Donghyuck had his arms crossed and Jaemin was beside him, admiring the ground. The boy with his eyes deeply invested on the sand of the ground had hoped, that by chance, the ground would split open and swallow him. To eat him and throw him somewhere else. Somewhere in the world that kept him away from there. It hurt, all of it did.

The atmosphere didn't lighten, even with the singing birds. Jeno stood across from the others too, a frown creased his features.

"What the fuck are you talking about Donghyuck?" Jeno practically spat out, Donghyuck scoffed at that.

"What am I talking about?" The sun kissed boy laughed humorlessly as Jaemin tensed and Jeno gritted his teeth. Donghyuck's laugh lasted a few seconds before his fake smile faded followed by giving Jeno a bitter glare. A glare that he tried to make sure covered the utter sadness that accompanied it. "Last night. I saw you," the teen was glad he voice hadn't cracked.