In the Shadow of Your First Attack

"So, Alexandra," Barbara placed her fork and knife to the side and turned her gaze at Alexandra. "Tell us about yourself."

"Well," Alexandra started, clearing her throat. "I was born in Hawaii, as a matter of fact. My father was stationed in a base there. My mother became a local schoolteacher and that's really about my childhood. Pretty boring," she snickered.

"How did you get discovered?" Illyana asked, cutting her steak.

"I was fifteen, and my mother and I went on a vacation to New York. A passing talent agent spotted me and I started modeling for Forever 21, which then took me to Victoria's Secret," Alexandra replied, taking quick glances at Ezra, who kept eating as if no one was talking.

"Alex has won various awards and praise. She's been called the most beautiful girls on the runway," Justin added proudly. Alexandra just smiled and nodded. "I'm trying to break into acting."

"You look like a great actress!" Morgan said in a dull manner. "I can already see it."

"Morgan," Barbara said, kicking Morgan's foot under the table.

Ow, Morgan mouthed.

Barbara went on, "I wish you luck, Alexandra, on all your ventures."

Justin placed his glass of wine down. He grabbed a napkin and wiped his mouth clean before speaking up. "So, Ezra, tell us about you - apart from what Google tells us," Justin chuckled.

"Yes!" Alexandra agreed happily.

"Uh, there's really not much to tell. I'm an upper middle class kid raised in New Jersey, born to hippie era parents, had a Bar Mitzvah, and uh, I've a knack for music." Ezra pressed his lips together, hoping he got through his point.

"And very smart!" Illyana added, turning to Ezra. "But very humble. You'd love his apartment. It's cozy and warm."

"Brooklyn, no?" Justin asked.

Ezra nodded quietly. "Yeah, good old Brooklyn," he chuckled. "It's not how people like to think of it as - it's a boomtown, like SoHo was in the years after the druggies were removed and traded for art galleries." He paused and smiled at Justin. "How well are you acquainted with New York?"

"It's my home, Ezra! A home I tend to leave when it bores me, but it's near and dear to my heart, if I'm honest. I love to travel; it's my passion. Ask Alexandra! She knows that apart from her, traveling is my true love," Justin sighed, looking out the window that led to the sleepless city.

Ezra nodded, and politely asked to be excused for a minute - he needed to wash his hands. "I've a thing where I can't touch anyone or anything unless food smell is off my hands," he chuckled softly.

"I'll take you to the bathroom," Alexandra volunteered. "After all, I need to check up on a few things in my laptop; it's in the bedroom. Come along, Ez, I don't want you to get lost." She pushed her chair back an stood up, smiling at Ezra.

Fuck. My. Luck.

"A-alright. I'll be right back," he smiled at Illyana, squeezing her hand tightly.

I fucking hope so.

Ezra, too, pushed his chair back and stood up clumsily, awaiting for Alexandra to lead him.

"Here, follow me," she smiled, motioning for him to follow along. She entered the hall that led to the master bedroom and the bathroom. Ezra gulped, half scared, half lost, but mostly scared. The woman had no care -well, some; she toned her flirtation down a notch or two, Ezra thanked his lucky stars.

"It's there," she pointed at the door. "Go on." She smirked at him.

Quickly, Koenig

"Thank you, Ms -" he rapidly ran past her, opening the door and shutting it close... Except for -

Alexandra stopped Ezra from shutting the bathroom door, instead, getting in before he could close it.

I'm fucked

Her smirk remained, and her eyes were focused. If sinister looks could kill, Ezra would be ice cold.

"What are you doing here? You've a boyfriend, I've a girlfriend, and their family is here!" Ezra pointed out, keeping his tone low. "Get out! Get OUT!"

Alexandra bit her lip, folding her arms carelessly. "Come on, Ezra, are you seriously telling me you're madly in love with her? She's a normal girl pretty. The kind of girl your mother wants. I'm the kind of girl you'd like. And you better be thankful I didn't mention the fact that we slept together," Alexandra shrugged, looking down at her black nails.

Ezra tilted his head to a right angle, his eyes slightly widened. "We never slept, Ms. Black, for your information."

Alexandra scoffed, shaking her head. "Sure, we didn't. But they don't know that. I could tell them -"

"Illy would never believe you, and neither would your boyfriend, who, by the way, you should appreciate. He loves you, if you hadn't noticed." Ezra pointed at the door, signaling for her to leave. "Please?"

Alexandra sighed, walking over to Ezra. He tried to back away, but of course, the space was limited. "You're the kind of boy I want. Smart, handsome, loyal, sweet. Ezra, she's a no one. I'm a model. Besides, she's a groupie, dear. Don't tell me you don't believe that she's slept with other singers and celebrities, right?" She pressed her hands on his chest, which he quickly shook off. "Right?"

"Illyana isn't like you, Alexandra. And I think you're being quite disrespectful. You're a beautiful girl with a great guy. Enjoy it. Live and let live!"

Alexandra eyed Ezra up and down, before getting awfully close to him. The air picked up strands of her hair, letting them fly in the air. Her red lips parted, ready to speak. "You're right. Illyana is not like me. I've more than she does. Look at her, Ezra, she's a simpleton. You and I, we are in the entertainment business. Do you know how powerful we can be? How beautiful?"

Ezra shook his head dodging her. "No. You're not right, Alexandra. You're in a relationship, and so I'm I -"

"Boo! Do you even love her?"

Ezra paused. His mouth opened, but no words came out. Was this a challenge from her part?

He turned on his heel towards her and looked her right in the eyes.

"She's the most beautiful, most genuine, most important, and most pure person I've ever met. I love her more than you'd ever care to know or to comprehend. And I'm not going to let you ruin what I've got with her, you hear me?" Ezra asked.

Alexandra rolled her eyes, backing off. "Fine. For now. At least I'll have excuses to be near you, Mr. Koenig."

That's a scary thought

"No. You're going to stop this. You barely hide it. Do you know how shitty you came off to my friends?" Ezra asked.

Alexandra clicked her tongue and smiled. "I'm unforgettable, I see."

"Don't take it as a compliment and don't flatter yourself. You shouldn't." Ezra walked to the faucet, turned it on, and quickly washed his hands. Alexandra shrugged, opened the door, and left. Just like that.

He sat on top of the bathroom sink for a moment, trying to calm down. His legs were shaking slightly - perhaps because he'd never been in a situation like this one. His hands felt heavy and his heart pumped fast. He felt bothered, threatened, harassed and mostly, angered. He wasn't just thinking things that day back in Paris - she was definitely coming onto him. But now? Now it was different.

Now, it was strong.

I can't let her be near Illy...