Long Night?

"So, are you guys ready to do this?" Illyana asked the boys.

Baio turned to Ezra, "Well, I can't say that I'm not scared; I really am."

Ezra scoffed. He knew Illyana wouldn't be hard on them, but perhaps only him. He was, after all, the frontman and spokesman of the band. "I think you'll live to see another day, Baio," Ezra reassured the bassist, who was definitely never comfortable in an interview.

"Let's start!" Rostam announced enthusiastically as he attacked a slice of pizza from the box. Illyana nodded, taking out her notes where she'd penned her questions down.

"Alright, this question is for everybody, and it'll be simple; why should people listen to, not just Vampire Weekend, but Modern Vampires of the City?"

The boys all pondered the question, trying to find the right words, but Rostam beat them all to the punch. "Well, I think that if you really like one of our songs, you should take your time to listen to our musical catalog. It's filled with many great songs, in my opinion. If you don't like us, don't waste your time; we won't be offended. Everyone's got a certain beat they like, and perhaps that's something we can't offer to all," graciously replied the band's keyboardist.

Ezra raised his hand and added, "I think everyone should listen to our album because it's Grammy approved."

Illyana was swift to jot their words down, all precisely. "A Grammy is a stamp of approval?" Illyana asked, cocking her left brow and crossing her long and smooth legs.

... Don't look at the legs, Koenig.

"W-well, the voters are all people who are known to be hard to please, and we won because our record pleased them. So in a way, yes, it most definitely is," Ezra replied, adjusting himself to the couch.

"Or they were incredibly buzzed when they submitted their votes," CT added with a chuckle.

"It's clear from what I've read that the kids who were extensively bashed for being 'wealthy and hyper-educated' by blogs everywhere have earned their respect with MVotC. What led to this change? From singing about Oxford commas and Cape Cod to singing about death and questioning godless love in a god centered world."

Ezra again raised his hand. "Well, back then, we were fresh off college. We had formed at Columbia, and it made the college ties pretty strong. I guess we didn't mean to, but our debut album was pretty much about the college life and what people thought was a WASP-y statement of our own - which I found ridiculous. We are pretty diverse in here, with Rostam being a first generation Iranian-American, Baio being of Italian descent, CT being of mixed Irish-Italian and Ukrainian descent and myself being of a Jewish background. I speak for all of us when I say we're pretty fucking diverse, and not at all WASPs. I was still paying old student loans when the band was taking off, which is crazy. I didn't have my parents pay my way through college, contrary to popular belief."

Added Baio, "People judged us by our style, our education - they judged the book by its cover, and the album by it's title. If it wasn't about our image, it was all about the vampire craze. We formed way before Twilight was even a thing, way before Robert Pattinson was someone."

"Fair enough," Illyana said, still writing their responses down. "A question that kind of comes up from the last one - what's it like to be hated? To be adored by fans, teen girls and college students? Tumblr's got a devoted VW fanbase."

Again, Ezra raised his hand and answered, "Well, I think that being hated must feel the same as being loved. When you're loved, you're surprised, you can't believe it, because it's you. You're no one special, or so you believe. But I think when you're just starting, you try to not let the love get to your head and the hate get to your heart. After a while, the bad becomes numb and you've got time for the devoted fans, who we work for."