I'll See You There

It's just a phone call.

It's just an innocent invite.

It's something she wanted as well.

It's for her job's sake, and the band's...

Coward? Hopeless romantic? Falling for a girl he'd only met last night?

All those were the thoughts flooding Ezra's brilliant, yet scared mind.

Never before had the writer of countless songs about love been so scared to make a damned phone call.

Hell, even when he just another teen boy in New Jersey, he had never been as nervous as now.

The thing about the rich and famous was that everyone else believed them to be ferocious casanovas with a lustful agenda.

That they all had women fall to their feet and adored them.

That money and fame could buy one love.

But dammit, Ezra Koenig was old fashioned, and dammit, he hated that.

"She's not the first girl you've... Liked," Ezra told himself as he dialed Illyana's numbers into the dial pad. "Perhaps she won't even be the last one." But even Ezra knew that was a lie from him mind. There were none like Illyana. "Don't lie to yourself, man. You want her."

And with a deep sigh, Ezra punched the call button on his iPhone.

__________________________

[ Illyana's Office ]

"Good afternoon, Illyana Romanova for the New York Times speaking."

"Are you that formal with everyone, bambina? Even if it's your mother?" A sarcastically nasal, but familiar voice said at the end of the line.

"Koenig! You missed your ol' pal Illy, huh? It's not uncommon, I'm just that likable," Illyana said jokingly, taking off her glasses and placing them on her desk. "Well, I only do that to unidentified phone numbers. Y'know, the usual stuff. Managers, publicists. They drop by unexpectedly."

Ezra nodded, slightly relieved that he'd gotten the number - and timing, right. Still, those old butterflies made him feel like a teenager asking his crush out to prom. But even then, this was the first time he'd been truly troubled by how strong the feeling was.

"Did I miss you? Oh, Illyana, we both know the question is did you miss me? And I'm willing to bet you did very much," Ezra replied, running a hand through his curly, black hair.

"Well, I'll be honest with you, bambina. I'm calling because it's fifty percent me missing our conversation and fifty percent because my band mates want to meet you. I told them about the interview, and they agreed to do it whenever you're game to do so!"

He missed me? He actually said he missed me. Wha- what should I say?!

"I missed you too, Ez, I'll admit that just because you're actually getting me that interview," she giggled sweetly, which made Ezra's toes curl in excitement.

"Look, I've got time tonight. We don't have to be fancy kids about it either. Perhaps we can do it in my apartment if that's not a problem. I can order food, get everything ready and you bring them in. How does that sound?" Illyana asked, placing her elbows on the desk.

... Holy crap, her apartment.

Ezra cleared his throat and smiled. "It sounds lovely! At what time?" He asked, crossing his arms. He walked out of the room he was in and down the hall to the band's recording room, where Rostam, CT and Baio stood talking about their next projects, such as Baio's Mira tour.

"How about... 8 or 9?" Illyana asked, checking her nearly empty agenda. It was almost ridiculous to check it.

"Hold on just a moment," Ezra said, putting his phone at a distance from his face.

"Hey guys, Illy wants to know if you guys are free at around 8 or 9 to go to her apartment for the interview."

Rostam smirked and nodded. "Of course, I'm in! 8:30 does it for me."

CT and Baio looked at each other and nodded. "Sure!" They said in unison. "She sounds like a lovely girl, but will she be serving food?" Asked Baio.

Ezra scoffed and nodded. "Of course she will - take out, as a matter of fact."

"Sweet! I'm totally in!" CT said.

Ezra nodded, bringing the phone back to his ear. "Alright, we're all in! I'll be there at 8 because I'm actually punctual."

Illyana flailed her free arm around in excitement. A small victory for the blogger with big ambitions. "Perfect! I'll see you there. Let me send you my address by text. Just give me a moment, yeah?"

Ezra snickered and nodded. "Sounds fine. I'll see you there, Illyana."

"See ya there, Ezra. And remember; no topic is off topic. Better be ready for me," Illyana grinned widely.

"I'm a little scared about that, but I'm only going to do it because it's you," Ezra replied, earning oogly eyes from CT and Baio. Rostam frowned at Chris Squared, and shook his head.

"Why thank you, I feel special enough. Goodbye Mr. Koenig."

"As you should feel. Goodbye, Ms. Romanov," Ezra said, clicking the phone.

"Breaking news - our boy's falling hard," CT said laughing. "Don't hide it, Ez. You like her more than you think you do."

Ezra shrugged, feeling uneasy. "I dunno, she's really cool and all, but c'mon! I just met her!"

*BZZ BZZ BZZ*

Ezra looked down at his phone's screen, which had an alert:

__________________________

Text from Illyana Romanova

"132-134 Thompson Street, in SoHo. Don't get lost! I need you all there!"

Funny, all I need is you...

__________________________

[ Illyana's Office ]

"Chloe! Chloe! Get in here!" Illyana peaked her head through the door and hurried her friend into the office. Chloe looked up and nodded, and she ran into the office, a notebook in her hand. "Yeah?" She asked curiously.

"Italian take out. A few boxes of pizza and beers. Perhaps dessert?" Illyana said, winking. Chloe's eyes widened, clearly excited.

"... NO! HE CALLED?!"

Illyana smirked, teasing Chloe by not saying anything - and God, how Chloe hated that.

"I'm going to do that now! Where should I ask them to deliver them?" Chloe asked, jotting down everything in her notebook. "Pizza topping?"

"Let's see, Hawaiian with bacon, and pepperoni with sausage. Have them delivered to my apartment. Beer, I'll say Budweiser or Miller Lite. Hm... And apple pie for dessert. I don't know, you add the rest," Illyana said, turning to her computer screen.

"Got it! It'll be perfect, I promise!" Chloe said, squealing with joy.

Illyana chortled at Chloe's excitement. "I really don't doubt it, Chlo. You're the best at... Whatever you do."

Chloe snorted, scoffing loudly. "Oh please, Illyana! You'd be lost without me!"

"Well... Sure, okay that's actually true. I need my best girl with me," Illyana admitted, blowing Chloe a kiss. Chloe 'caught' the kiss midair and had a satisfied smile in her pink lips. "That's exactly what I like to hear."

"Come on, Chloe Stan, get to work. You're not just paid to talk to the boss, remember," Illyana said, shooing Chloe away.

"Fine, fine. Gotta go get everything ready for you 'interview'."

"Is that sarcasm I smell?" Illyana asked, not taking her eyes off her computer screen.

"Perhaps..." Chloe said softly. "Don't miss me too much!"

"Will do," Illyana shook her head.