chap 1: Forever at work

The best years of my life started when I met you.
(Love quote)

••••

I groggily opened my eyes and frowned in my pillow.I uncurled my sleepy muscles as I stretched my whole body. Waking up, I left my warm bedsheets unwillingly and forced my eyes to focus as I walked to the kitchen. I looked like ursula from little mermaid or a zombie maybe. I'm not a morning girl, just trying.

Infront of me was this lovely woman busy preparing pancakes. We have been like this for a long time but as the days moved on, I slightly got bored of it. I mean did we do anything wrong to live this way as a punishment maybe ?

I mentally laughed at my thought. But honestly I'm tired of living this low life. But I can't shout it to the world anyway.

"My daughter , you're awake ?" My mom half asked snapping me.

"You forgot where I'm going today ?" I heaved a sigh sitting on one of the stool.

"I can't, as a matter of fact I have prayed that it be the last one you attend." She said for the first time looking at my direction. Her eyes looked tired and sleepless and I knew she is overworking.

I love her so much and I always pity her as she works tirelessly to keep us 'alive'. By saying 'us' I mean me and my younger sister, Avril. I've never quiet understood how a person can radiate so much love and kindness. She is one in a million.

"I believe so, it's my fifth and I hope it will be the last interview. I can't wait to earn and help you with these bills mom, " I said faintly and took a deep breath as she placed pancakes on a plate. I really need a job ,I can't sit and watch my mom pass through this alone. I awkwadly crossed my arms on my chest as I let my mind wander on many things.

"Don't worry much, you will come and tell me that my prayer were answered." She said softly snapping me. I knew she could see me like a thin piece of glass.

"Don't overwork today mom, you haven't been around in the evenings for so long, " I complained.

"But I have to my daughter, I want to offer you the best and if it means I slog and slave from dusk till dawn then be it, " she argued ,firmly.

I stood and hugged her as I left to the sitting room knowing that no matter how much I try to convince her she will never agree.

I sat on our old couch sighing deeply. Our apartment was old and was not the best. It had a guest room which leterally served as my sisters bedroom. She has been our guest forever. Funny I guess. There were two other bedrooms where one was mine and the other one was for my mom. Also there was another room which served both as dining room and sitting room.

Lastly there was a small kitchen which we struggle to arrange it well for all our kitchen utensils to fit in not forgetting a small sink was set there also and an old rusty fridge sat at the corner.

Typical life.

I shook the thought at the back of my mind and forced my mind to focus on today's interview.

I'm desperately looking for a secretarial job but my effort are not bearing any fruit. I rubbed my lips together looking on the roof wondering what the day had for me.

Two months looking for any secretarial post in this Nairobi city with no success is such ridiculous. I wanted to lose hope and relaxe but I decided to keep trying.

"Morning sister ," I heard my sister holler as she went to the kitchen.

I slowly waved as I stood going to my bedroom. The interview starts at 9:00 am , so I have one and half hour to prepare.