Kisuke's Rage

I held Dalia in my arms, close to my heart, as we went on our way through the Shihōin Manor. It was silent in the halls as we went down them. Anyone that saw us greeted me but just stared at Dalia like she was odd. We had talked to the heads and they agreed to take her in, at least until she could fend for herself – that was before they knew what had actually happened to her. I hummed to her quietly, to console her, before we reached her room they'd given her. I set her down on the bed and smiled.

She didn't smile – she couldn't... It was obvious her smile had been gone and who knew when it'd come back." Thank you, Nii-chan."

"Gah! So cute Imouto!" I grabbed her up in my arms again hugging her.

"Nii-chan, what was the song you were humming?" She asked after I let her go.

"Eh? Dear Phoenix, why?" I blinked at her.

"W... well you sing it for me?" My face went blank, singing? Me?" You don't have to if you don't want to. I apologize." She said quickly looking away.

I chuckled and couldn't resist placing a hand on her head." I don't mind singing it for you."

I cleared my throat." Dear Phoenix, where are you? I miss your red flame. The way that you'd cry out, you were calling my name. Dear Phoenix, I miss you. Where did, you go away? Dear Phoenix, I grow old but you stay the same. Dear Phoenix, I love you – please don't go away. I'll love you for as long as you will stay with me. Dear Phoenix, I've grown old I guess this is goodbye. I love you and miss you, please don't you care why. Dear Phoenix, Dear Phoenix, you fly above me. You fly right above my now dead body." I took a big deep breath and gave her a big smile.

She reached up and touched my smile." C... can I smile like you, Nii-chan?"

"Eh? Of course you can." I chuckled and wrapped my arms around her small waist.

"How?"

I hooked my thumbs in the sides of her mouth and forced the corners of her mouth upward into a smile." Like this, seeee?" I stretched her cheeks more and I started to blush. The further I seemed to stretch her cheeks the cuter she was." Waaaaahhhh, you are so cute Imouto. Sooooo verrrryyy cuttee."

The moment I removed my thumbs, she started smiling on her own and even laughing. She leaned against me and gave into a fit of laughter. I just knew that with Dalia that would be the first of many laughs. I also silently vowed to protect her in every way I could. I knew I couldn't allow her to ever become a Shinigami, who knew what would happen? I'd protect her... from everything and everyone. I reluctantly had to leave since Kai's information has to be filled out as he was a new inhabitant of Maggot's Nest now but I promised after that I would never leave her alone again... never.

"HOW COULD YOU TEACH HER SHIKAI AGAINST MY WISHES!? THERE WAS A REASON I DIDN'T WANT HER LEARNING SHIKAI!" I yelled at Byakuya who was as red in the face as I probably was.

"I THOUGHT SHE SHOULD BE ABLE TO PROTECT HERSELF!"

"PROTECT HERSELF MY FOOT! YOU WANT TO GET ENGAGED TO HER!" A voice cleared itself and I quickly looked to see Ginrei Kuchiki standing there.

"What's going on, Urahara-san?" He asked calmly.

I took a deep breath calming myself a little." Byakuya here, against my wishes, taught Dalia Shikai."

Ginrei's eyes lit up." Really? That means they can get engaged."

I gritted my teeth." No. They can't. She hasn't officially been adopted by the Shihōin family so she is not a noble."

Ginrei's eyes dulled again." Oh..." He turned and started walking off from the compound." I'll have to get that worked on... Punish him as you see fit then."

I turned back to Byakuya who looked as shocked as I did but my shock was soon replaced by anger." I'm sure you know about Dalia's past so why did you do that?! We don't know what would happen if she became a Shinigami."

"I don't think much will happen."

"Look." I took a deep breath and decided to destroy his ignorance on Dalia's situation and tell him about her Phoenix transformation." What I'm about to tell you, Dalia doesn't even know and you better not tell her if you want to protect her."

Byakuya nodded slowly, the confusion in his eyes.  I took a deep breath and began to tell him...