As Much As You Want

"I... u. I  don't think now is the right time. I have to go." 

Mayuri stood, hunched, over his office lab isle.  Even though his limbs were moving actively to create the concoction, the thoughts that circulated in his head didn't match his activity. The image of Dalia's dark, startled eyes before she ran out, taking the remnants of his happiness with her. 

Even though he wasn't good at facial cues, he saw the meaning of the look in her eye... Fear. The bright, playful eyes that looked at him with adoration and annoyance over the years and had never looked at him in the way. The look in her eyes was the look he received from anyone who saw him and he never cared before - they didn't matter.

Seeing that look in her eyes broke something within him causing a burning to develop in his chest. He scratched his chest through the disheveled, partially open yukata over the aching pain. It had lessened after taking strong numbing medication, but it still persisted.

When he returned to the institute he threw a massive fit about the state of projects and the unorganized systems, demanding everyone dedicate themselves to the re-organize and straighten everything. 

He thought that he'd made the right decision, cashing in the favor to marry her and take responsibility, despite the surprise and outrage he'd raised in the meeting. The human world books he'd read said that it was only right to marry the woman you deflower. Thinking of how she ran away told him he should have done more research. 

As the potion "boof!"ed into its final form within the test tube, Mayuri gave a heavy sigh. He cursed bitterly at love, feelings and emotions. He couldn't even enjoy the completion of a long standing project, because of how chaotic his mind was over her. Heartbreak was once a word he would mock others with, but now he had it.

He cast his eyes to the clock that rested at the edge of the isle, the time 6:30. He'd spent hours standing in his office unbothered. He could hear the busy clattering of his subordinates outside in other areas of the Institute. Normally, they would have left by now, but he inspired fear with his wild behavior. To feel this miserable, he needed the people around him to feel it.

The anger that rested in him reminded him that even if she wanted to run away, she wouldn't be able to. They were bound by a marriage arrangement, she agreed.

A soft knock interrupted his spiraling thoughts as he walked around the isle towards the door. "Who is it?" He spat bitterly.

"Your wife-to-be." Her soft, melodic voice could barely be heard through the door. "Who is very apologetic for running off earlier."

Mayuri resisted running to the door to greet her, choosing to walk to his desk and sit down." Enter."

The door slid open and his heart pattered to the rhyme of her steps as she entered the room. Her almond-shaped eyes beamed at him as she made her way towards his desk. The cute, innocent aura she gave us didn't match the playful smirk on her lips. The lips that made his own dry with the yearning to touch hers, he scowled.

She stood on the opposite of his desk looking at him. His eyes rolled over her, ensuring she is okay, finding leaves and grass clinging to her kimono. The scowl deepened as he brought his eyes back to her face. 

"Shihoin-hime greets the Head of the Research Institute." She bowed before him, the silly smile on her face.

The lingering pain gripped his heart, immobilizing him. Would she always come back this way after running from him? Why did she always leave him alone? He kept his mouth shut, fearing the word vomit in his mind would tear the relationship he viewed as paper thin.

"May-kun, I'm really sorry." Her bottom lip trembled as she dropped her head, feeling the cold shoulder yet he wanted to grab the lip and soothe her. "My wounds..." She anxiously rubbed her right arm.

Panic set in as he stood up abruptly, startling her." Are you injured?" He nearly jumped over the desk as he grabbed her arm and began to look for them. He ducked his head as he examined her frantically.

A puff of air warmed his face as he searched, he looked at her. A soft smile greeted him." My mental wounds."

He dropped her arm, relieved, and stood straight towering over her." Oh."

"I'm worried." She admitted softly as she slowly turned away from him. "My mother married my father. She never thought she would be experimented on or killed by him... I watched her and my brother die at the hand of my father."

"Are you worried that... I would?" He stepped towards her retreating frame, the pain becoming piercing at the insinuation of her words. Did she think so little of him? Maybe she really couldn't let go of the sword through the chest incident.

"No. I know you wouldn't. I know you. I just." Her shoulders shuttered as she took a deep breath. Mayuri took another step towards her small frame, seeing her like this hurt him. "I'm afraid. I wanted this, but it's all happening at once. Can I be the head and your wife? Do I deserve this?"

Her shoulders became to shutter more as her calm breathing became broken. The bitterness that Mayuri had clung to, disappeared at the quiet sob from his wife-to-be.

"You deserve even more. We can postpone the wedding." The distance between them closed as Mayuri wrapped his arms around her small frame. "It's just frivolous behavior and paperwork. The rest, though tedious... I guess I could help you and allow you to lean on me. Don't think I'm doing it because I want to."

Dalia smiled in his arms, despite the tears still flowing down her face. Even in the darkest moment of her thoughts and him not being used to dealing with any emotions, Mayuri was standing here with her, comforting her. The whirlwind in her mind settled as he held her tightly, emitting his warmth. She sobbed in his arms, wondering if the snot made her less appealing to him but he never moved. 

The tears began to dry and Mayuri planted a kiss on top of her braided head, adding," My busy life will be even busier now. I will surely ask for reparations for my hard work. How annoying."

He held her gently, a stark contrast to his rough words. "You're such a tsundere." She coughed quietly, choking on her tears in her throat.

He offered his sleeve to her." And you're a snotty brat that runs away, but I never mention that do I?"

"Mayuri is the best!" Dalia squeaked quietly as she wiped her nose on his sleeve, embarrassed. "He definitely cares for me the most and won't let go."

"I love you. Why would I ever let go?" He mumbled softly as he let go of her and removed his Captain jacket. He tossed it over the back of his chair. Any remnants of the confusing bitter feelings were gone, hearing his name on her lips. His name tickled the warmth in the pit of his stomach as he turned back to her. 

When their eyes met, she saw the hooded look in his eyes. Hearing his name from her lips always put him in this mood. She smirked." I love you too, Mayuri."

 "Since you're the reason I'll be so busy, I should get some of my reward in advance." His lips curled into a devilish grin as he sat down in his chair, motioning her closer.

"What reward could I possibly give?" She chuckled, fluttering her eyelashes.

She slowly walked around the desk until she stood in front of the painted scientist. The high pitched voice that he used when speaking with others, deepened as he caught her arm and pulled her onto his lap." Intimacy." His breath feathered her face as her hand landed on his chest. She could feel the strong beating of his heart, causing her heart to speed up more.

"Let me send someone to inform the mansion and you can have as much as you want."

Another chapter in the dust! Thank you for patiently waiting! :)

I haven't decided whether to do a lemon or to skip forward passed it! I need feedback! 

Thank you for taking the time to read, it means a lot to me! Liked the chapter, Vote on it! Want updates, add it to your library and follow me!

Thank you!!!

Cookie! :)