The Future

The 30 page parchment exam that could decide my future sat in front of me as I picked up the pen. I sat seiza-style as Byakuya watched me taking written test to become the Head of the Clan. What everyone had assumed would take a century had taken me seven months. 

The Clan wanted me to take my time to become the Head of the Clan and a Captain, insisting I get married to Mayuri first. Mayuri and I had discussed it and he knew how important this was to me, so we postponed it.

The months had flown by learning to manage the complex household, but with the aid of my father and the counsel, it would be a piece of cake. They praised me for my quick learning and grasp on the politics. My father says that I have matured, but Mayuri says I have grown childish.

Thanks to Ojisan, Yamamoto, I'd achieved my Bankai quicker than most Captains and passed my Zanpakto field test but the rigorous training had left me bedridden for the last month until today. Byakuya had to come teach me in my room, to Mayuri's displeasure, so that I would be ready for the written test.

"Begin." Byakuya's voice resonated through the room as he started the water timer.

The information flowed as I answered every question without hesitation. I'd trained day and night leading up to this test that would determine if I would achieve my lot or wait another fifty years and study at a slower pace.

The matted orange haired boy flashed in my mind, one of the reasons I'd worked tirelessly to achieve my powers and my status. I would soon be able to return to the Human World periodically to check on this boy. I would be able to defend myself against Gin, who still lurked around from time to time.

Before I knew it, I was turning the final page of parchment over with a satisfied smirk. In a matter of days, I would know the results.

"Are you done? Are you certain about your answers? You still have two hours to answer." Byakuya looked up from the paper scroll he was reading as I pushed the parchments to him.

"I am confident that I have passed." I placed my hands upon my thighs and nodded sharply.

Byakuya's usual cold face broke into a smile grin as he picked the papers up and stood. I followed suit." Then I will deliver this to the council to have it checked."

"Thank you, please let me know the results. I will be at the Research Institute." I bowed deeply at the waist, before gathering the ends of my purple and white lined kimono.

"Give Mayuri a disgruntled greeting for me." Byakuya scoffed as he slid the door open for me.

"Will you two ever get along?" I chuckled as I stepped through.

"..." Byakuya gave no response as he stepped out behind me and left in a hurry.

I took a deep breath and stretched my arms over my head as the sunlight bathed my face, feeling a sense of relief from the lack of schedule - the last time I would probably be able to feel it once the results came back. The soft sound of soul birds chirping and the light breeze brushing my face.

"Such a beautiful day, I wonder if Mayuri would mind spending it outside." I mused as I started walking to leave the Kuchiki household.

Young Shinigami ran around laughing and playing in the streets as I strolled, adding to the peaceful scene that played before me. They greeted me as I walked passed them on my route to the Institute, their faces full of vivid color. I smiled and nodded my head in return, remembering a time when I would run recklessly through the streets with Byakuya and Kisuke.

So much has changed since then...

thud! I blinked as I collided with a  firm chest as I bounced backward. "You should watch where you're going."

I stumbled back, trying to catch my footing as my arms flailed. A hand grasped my arm and pulled me upright.

"For being the next head of clan, you are a child. One who doesn't watch where they are going." The messy black-haired individual eyed me with discontent. It was clear that he was a low level, fresh out of academy Shinigami.

He was taller than me, but his physique was skinny. His pale brown eyes glistened harshly, attempting to emit a dominating aura. I didn't know what squad he was from, but his reaction and look angered me. My clan leaders reminded me often that I would be looked down upon, because of my past and novice begins and I would have to show dominance from time to time.

"Insolent! It is your honor to bump into me." I barked, my lips set in a scowl as I snatched my arm away." You dare speak to me this way! What's your name, Shinigami? What squad are you from?"

His narrow eyes blinked in surprise at my harsh words, but I didn't back down. I stepped closer to him, tugged his arm, and pulled him around to see the division on his back. "3rd division. I will be sure they know they should choose their Shinigami better. Insubordination is likely."

I let go and began to walk beyond him, changing my direction toward the 3rd Division Barracks. Even though I didn't want to meet with Gin, I would not deal with the disrespect. 

"Shūsuke Amagai." The young Shinigami spout out quickly as I began to stomp, head held high, passed him.

"What?" I sharply turned and glared at him.

"I have been rude and I am deeply sorry. Please forgive me. That is my name." He dropped his head quickly, rubbing it." I am in a poor mood today, please forgive my insolence."

"You must surely pay for this. My forgiveness is not given for last minute apologizes." I turned to walk away.

"I will do what you ask! Please!" He yelped. "I'm new to the Gotei 13, I was trained properly. My mood was too poor and I said very offensive things. Shihōin-sama, I will surely return the favor if you are lenient and don't tell my Captain."

I sighed inwardly, relieved that I wouldn't have to talk to Gin. I turned around to the man. "Shūsuke Amagai, right?"

"Yes ma'am." He was bowing deeply before me. "3rd Division, no seat."

"I will call on you for a favor one day, Amagai. Do not forget this day." I scoffed. "And fix that attitude."

"I will not forget, thank you for your leniency." He responded quickly.

Without another word, I turned to head to the Research Institute. I didn't know that this would be the first of many encounters with this man.

---------

Thank you for reading! Thank you for your patience! When I updated my phone, the Wattpad app wouldn't even open so I had to get on my computer to write this! My schedule has been a little chaotic! But good news! My mom is officially done with therapy (she had full knee replacement surgery 3 weeks ago) so my schedule has freed up quite a bit! It should be easier for me to get the WEEKLY chapters out!

I'm setting the story up for a time skip! It's about time! :) Again! Thank you so much for reading, it means a lot to me! If you liked the chapter, like the chapter! I'm open to ALL FEEDBACK! 

Thank you for your loyalty, it has really inspired me and gets me excited to write this fanfiction! Kisses, love and hug! See you next week!

Cookie!