9

As my next client came in, I began to review her file. Jasmine Brown was a six year old who had parental issues and faced abuse just like me. Her older brother Liam brought her here so I could get some information out of her. He's trying to get her away from that hell hole so she can live with him in Manhattan.

The two of them sat in the simple chairs in front of my desk.

"Hi Jasmine, how are you feeling today? My name is Parker." getting up from out of my office chair, I walked over towards her to shake her hand.

She simply shook her hand, but words weren't exchanged.

"Speak up Jas, the kind lady is trying to be nice to you...it's okay," Liam rubbed her back softly after noticing how tense she was.

"H-Hi.." she soon cracked a smile before I stooped to her level.

"Do wanna tell me a little about yourself?" slowly turning towards my desk, I grabbed a Blow Pop from my small tea cup before handing her a cherry flavor.

She simply took it, unraveling the wrapper handing it back to me, and stuck the candy in her mouth. The candy soon exited from her mouth, holding the stick with her right hand.

"I like the color purple...veggies are nasty, but bubba says they make me strong. Mommy hurts me, but she says it's from stress..Ms. Parker, do you have kids? Do you hurt them cause of stress?" her broad hazel eyes looked into mine.

"Jasmine! You can't ask people those type of questions.." Liam nudged in, looking down at her.

I simply chuckled, "No it's okay..no, I don't have children. If I did, I wouldn't hurt them because of stress. How often do they hurt you?" I began to want some more content.

"Repeatedly, but when out in public they'll try to brush it off. Before I moved out after college, I asked if she wanted to come with, but they forced her to stay. I'm trying to fight it, but I've called a couple social workers." Liam looked up at me.

I nodded before looking back at Jasmine, "What they do to you is wrong, okay baby girl? No one should treat anyone like that. I've been in your position when I was that same exact age and it can get worse. Luckily, if your brother beats this case, you can live with him. Do you like staying with him?"

Her head moved up and down, "Bubba reads me bed time stories and we make goodies on weekends," she smiled brightly before putting the lollipop back in her mouth.

"Do you mind showing me where they hurt you?"

She slowly turned around as Liam lifted up her pink shirt, seeing purple bruises every where on her back. I've noticed a burn mark on her elbow and a cut on the back of both legs. Once she turned around, Liam spoke up.

"During the weekdays, the bus will drop her off back home and they used to leave her home since they come home two hours later. During that time frame, I'd go to the house to check up on her since I'd be home around 2:40 and the bus gets to her house around 4:36. On weekends, she'd stay with me, but this has to stop. I have pictures of the bruises and recordings of when they yell at her."

"It will stop. Now Jasmine, you stay with Liam til further notice. I'll call Child Protective Services and notify the school. From that point, they should send out a social worker to check out the degree of the home."

"Thank you so much Parker," the two of them stood up and Jasmine hugged my legs once she threw away the remainder of the lollipop.

"Thank you Ms. Parker."

"You're welcome sweetie, anytime," seconds later, my Apple watch went off.

"I guess it's time for my lunch break.." I shyly smiled.