73

****

"Wait you mean to tell me that you're getting replaced by new management?" Holding onto my coffee I was having a side conversation with Marshall which had me all types of confused. Our company is replacing her? But why?

"It's a story I really don't have time to get into, but you better hope that you can keep this job because they WILL be replacing people. Right now, I would start all over again, but I'm in retirement age and it's time to hang up my jersey. Parker I will say this, you were phenomenal to work with and honey I will miss you," giving me a light smile, I felt so sad that the woman I looked up to the most is now leaving.

I continued to help her pack up her office, but it all felt so unreal. I hope whoever this management is will surely keep my ass on the line cause I'm not trying to loose my job either.

"Thank you for allowing me to have this job and you'll be greatly missed," pulling her in for one last hug, I embraced the moment for I would never get to see her ever again. Once I moved away she handed me an envelope and looked up at me.

"Don't open it until you get back to your office, please," she begged, making me nod my head and walk over towards her door and out of her office before walking down towards the lobby with the envelope in my hand then pressing the button to go up the elevator.

Once I got in, the door closed in front of me making me take a deep breath allow my emotions to flow. Waiting for nearly minutes to come, the doors flew opened and my feet briefly moved towards my office, using my hand to pull the silver handle on the glass door and walk inside.

Plopping the envelope on my desk, I realized how heavy it was, but I shook off the feeling. Looking over at my stand up mirror, I had on flare pants that had a houndstooth pattern, and a red long sleeve crop top that was off the shoulder. My black leather wedge heels complimented my outfit making everything better. My hair was up in a bun and a few strands of hair came off from the side.

Moving towards my desk, I pulled out a drawer and grabbed my makeup pouch to apply a nude lip gloss and spray on a Channel perfume Dave had bought me for Christmas. Suddenly, the work phone rang, making me almost jump before picking it up.

"Ms. Hardware, someone is here to see you, it's anonymous they said," Tracy's voice spoke through the voice, but I shook off the feeling. It's probably Regina or Dave trying to play tricks on me.

"Send them up," before I could take the phone away from my ear, she spoke again.

"Can you come to the lobby please Ms. Hardware? It's important," I began to cock an eyebrow. Now who really needed to see me at this moment? It might be one of my clients, maybe Gavin or Kayla. Gavin is a teen dealing with depression, but doesn't like to talk much.

Kayla is a twelve year old who tends to run away from home whenever the voices in her head become too powerful for her to handle. One morning I found her by my car crying. These kids, I tell ya I feel so bad for them.

Once I made my way out of my office yet again and down the elevator, I walked towards the lobby seeing no one other than Dave in his uniform. I could only wonder what he wants. We walked over towards the lounge area were we could have some privacy, sitting in apple green chairs.

"Hi Dave, how can I help you?"

He sniffed a little bit with his hands pressed in his lap before looking up at me. His eyes were puffy as if he barely got enough sleep and I could read tiredness all over him.

"I don't even know where to begin...Parker I'm sorry," reaching over, he pressed his hand on mine making me give him a confused look.

"What are you doing Dave?" he began to creep me out a little bit.