Chapter 22 - Secrets Revealed

The day after the Team Skull incident:

After packing everything he needed for his trip to Akala to commence his Island Trial Challenges and the Grand Trial, Ash, Pikachu and Lucario had made their way to the classroom, where Professor Kukui and his 5 students were already gathered.

"Alright Red, before we leave and head towards Akala Island, there is something that I would like to give you," Professor Kukui said as he gestured for a brown dog-like Pokemon with a tuff of grayish-white fur around its neck to approach Ash. "Oh, wow, it's so cute and adorable," Ash said in surprise at the Pokemon as he took out his Nanodex.

"Rockruff, the Puppy Pokemon. It's considered to be a good Pokémon for beginners because of its friendliness, but its disposition grows rougher as it grows up. When it rubs the rocks on its neck against you, that's proof of its love for you. However, the rocks are sharp, so the gesture is quite painful," stated the Nanodex.

"So this is for me? Thanks a lot Professor Kukui," Ash said in gratitude. "You're welcome. It is our gift of thanks to you after saving us from those Team Skull goons," replied Professor Kukui with a smile. "Not to mention twice for us students," added Kiawe, with nods of affirmation from Sophocles, Lillie, Lana and Mallow. Ash smiled in return, knowing how grateful they were to him.

"So Rockruff, would you like to be my Pokemon? I promise you, under me, you will become stronger, benefit from being my Pokemon and you will not regret it," Ash assured Rockruff. For a few seconds, Rockruff gave Ash an examining look and then nodded in satisfaction. "It seems satisfied with you," Lucario commented as Ash took out an empty PokeBall and pointed towards the Puppy Pokemon. Instantly, Rockruff jumped up and tapped on the PokeBall, disappearing in a red beam of light. After a few seconds, the PokeBall stopped shaking and gave a final beep, signalling that Rockruff was successfully captured.

"Congratulations on capturing the Rockruff, Red," Professor Kukui praised Ash while the students clapped. "Thanks guys," Ash said smiling. He then turned to Professor Kukui with a serious look. "Professor Kukui, I would like to talk to you about something in private," Ash requested.

Professor Kukui, who was slightly confused at the raven haired trainer's seriousness, nodded and turned to his students. "I'll be right back, guys. Please wait here for a while," he said. "Alright, take your time," Mallow said. "Strange," commented Lana. "What could Red be possibly up to?" Lillie said as the other students watched Ash and Professor Kukui disappear.

When Ash and Professor Kukui made their way outside the classroom where nobody could hear them, Professor Kukui asked Ash,"What's the matter Ash? Are you alright? It's just you seem to have suddenly changed your mood from good to bad."

"Don't worry, Professor Kukui," Ash replied. "It is nothing bad for you guys and I'm sorry if I scared you. The thing is, do you remember how I earlier told you guys that I plan to reveal my true identity to the rest of the world throughout the Annual Global Battle tournament in less than 2 years time?" he asked.

"Yes, I remember that. What about it?" Professor Kukui asked. "Well, on second thoughts, I plan to give you students an exception. I think it is better to show them my real identity now before we head off to Akala island, because they have agreed to accompany me for the Island Trial Challenges and the Grand Trial," Ash answered, earning a nod in Professor Kukui.

"That's a great idea. I'm pretty sure by now my students are wondering why you have been wearing that mask," said Professor Kukui. "Come on. Let's make our way back," he concluded as he and Ash made their way back to the classroom, where the students were expecting their return.

"Alright, Ash. Go ahead," Professor Kukui gestured. "Kiawe, Sophocles, Lillie, Lana and Mallow, I'm sorry for keeping this a secret from you guys until now, but here goes nothing," Ash said as he took off his mask, causing Professor Kukui's students to freeze in shock.

"Am I dreaming?" Kiawe said to the rest of the others. "Pinch yourself to see if you're not," Sophocles said, but Kiawe did not pinch himself as he actually knew that he wasn't dreaming. "But why?" Lillie asked. "Yeah, why did you keep your true identity a secret from the beginning?" asked Lana.

"Once again, I apologize for not telling you the truth earlier," Ash said with an honest expression. "But I have my reasons," the raven-haired trainer continued. "And what might it be?" Mallow asked with a small hint of annoyance and anger. "Well, I did not want any unnecessary attention from the outside world ever since I had been betrayed by some of my friends and rivals, so I decided to train my Pokemon in Mount Silver, so people from all over the world would have been effectively convinced that I was dead for good," Ash explained.

"However, there are several people aside from you students who knew about my true motives in the beginning: Professor Oak, his grandson Gary Oak, who happens to be my best friend and former rival, my mother, Charles Goodshow, Scott the manager of the Battle Frontier as well as Professor Kukui and Principal Oak. All of them had promised to keep my true identity a secret for the timebeing," Ash continued.

"Initially, I was going to tell you and the rest of the world about my true identity at the end of the first few matches of the Annual Global Pokemon Battle Tournament, but after learning that you guys were the Island Trial Challenge Captains for Akala Island and Ula'ula Island, I thought it was better if I revealed my true identity now to you before I started especially when you guys have decided to help & accompany me throughout my Island Trial Challenges in Akala & Ula'ula Islands," concluded Ash.

"I see," Kiawe, who was initially annoyed at Ash for hiding his true identity but after hearing Ash's full explanation, he only felt pity and sympathy for the trainer who faced a rough past. "It's alright, we understand," said Mallow, whose hints of annoyance and anger had dissipated. "And I apologize for being angry at you beforehand," she stated. 

"All good, but in all honesty, I don't blame you guys for being mad at me for hiding my true identity from you guys ever since I met you. I probably would have been mad at the start if we swapped positions," Ash said with a smile. "However, like the others who already know about my true identity, please keep my identity a secret," Ash requested.

"Of course, we understand," Lillie said with a smile. "Your secret is safe with us," Sophocles said with nods of affirmation from the other students. Professor Kukui, Lucario and Pikachu, who watched the entire scene unfold, smiled at each other, knowing that Ash is safe.

"Well, with that solved. Let's head to Akala Island," Professor Kukui said as the group made their way towards the Melemele Island Ferry Terminal located in Hau'oli City, where they took a boat from there to Heahea City in Akala Island.