Chapter 41 - Poni Island Trial Challenge (Part 1)

The day after Ash has completed the Ula'ula Island Grand Trial, the group has finally made their way to Poni Beach upon having breakfast at Malie City.

Once disembarking at Poni Beach, Ash, Professor Kukui and the five students ventured through the Poni Wilds and arrived at Seafolk village, to be greeted by a young woman with Blond Hair.

"Ah, Professor Kukui, I've been waiting for you," said the woman as she approached the group.

"Mina, good to see you," replied Professor Kukui. "I assume you remember what we discussed last night?"

"Yes, I do remember," said Mina. "And this is the challenger that you and Hala informed me about?" she added, gesturing to Ash.

"Correct," said Kukui.

"Alright, without further ado, follow me," said Mina as she led the group to a battlefield outside her house.

"So, Ash. What you need to do first is defeat me in a 3 VS 3 battle. When you defeat me, I will give you the Pink Petal, but you will need to collect the other coloured petals: Red, Yellow, Purple, Green, Blue an Orange. Once you collect all seven petals, you will need to make the rainbow flower, which attracts the Totem Ribombee that you need battle in order to complete my trial. When battling me, make sure you don't go easy on me," said Mina as she made her way to one end of the battlefield.

"Sure, neither do I plan to," replied Ash, as he made his way to the other end.

"This will be an official 3 on 3 battle between the Island Trial Captain, Mina and the challenger, Ash Ketchum. Only the challenger is allowed to substitute Pokemon and the battle will be over when all of either side's Pokemon are unable to battle. Can both sides please take out their first Pokemon?" requested Professor Kukui.

"Alright, go Granbull," said Mina as the Fairy Pokemon appeared on the battlefield.

"Wow, it's facial expression looks rather scary," said Lillie.

"Well, the thing is, even though Granbull may look intimidating in terms of appearance, it is actually a shy and timid Pokemon," said Professor Kukui.

"That's correct," added Mina.

"A Granbull huh? Then let's do this, Goodra," said Ash as the Dragon Pokemon appeared on the battlefield, shocking everyone.

"A Goodra? Why?" asked Mallow, knowing that Dragon type attacks don't affect Fairy Type Pokemon.

"I know that type advantages don't always help you win, but this is a complete disadvantage for Ash," commented Kiawe.

"It's the least of my concerns," replied Ash. "One of my rivals had managed to defeat my Gliscor using his Electivire in the Sinnoh League, so I don't see why I can't do the same."

"Okay, battle begin," said Professor Kukui.

"Granbull, start off with Bulk Up," ordered Mina as a red aura began to surround the Fairy Pokemon, increasing its attack and defense.

"Goodra, use Sludge Bomb," commanded Ash as Goodra opened its mouth and fired a large purple sludge at Granbull, scoring a direct hit and dealing a lot of damage due to it being super effective. Additionally, it caused Granbull to become poisoned.

"Wow, interesting," said Sophocles. "Using a Poison Type against a major type disadvantage. As expected of Ash."

"Seems like you gave yourself a headstart, Ash. But we will catch up. Use Stone Edge," said Mina as Granbull smashed one of its paws on the ground, causing several sharp stones to protrude from the surface of the ground and head towards Goodra.