18-strong on my own

Kaycee

Kaycee

________

My sleep schedules are erratic. I can function on 2 hours of sleep, but not on 10. Or I'm collapsing if I don't get more than 12. It's strange. Sometimes I'll sleep until 2PM, other days I'll be up at 2AM. I wasn't used to extreme jet lag, as Sean had discovered earlier, I really haven't been very far time-zone wise, but I'd moved from Texas to L.A., and I figured that had to count for something. But I was up around 4, and at first I thought about going back to sleep, but my body didn't want to. Sean was still in my bed, and memories of last night rushed through my head. My heartbeat quickened.

What had come over me? I was embarrassed. What if it was bad? What if I was bad? Would he know the difference....?

Oh God. My face flushed as I flipped onto my back and stared at the ceiling. I needed to do something, and fast. I vaguely remembered Rosemary saying that there was yoga at 4:30, and I had never been so gracious to avoid Sean in my life. Why was I being like this? I wasn't sure, but I was suddenly so nervous to even look at him. Thank God he was a heavy sleeper. I kicked my covers off and tip-toed around the room, pulling on black and white Victoria's Secret leggings and a blush sports bra, and I put on my black and white Saint Christopher's necklace (Devon had brought it back from the Jersey Shore when he went there for Easter break with his friends from the Academy, and I've never missed a day wearing it since), and I pulled my hair up into a bun. After brushing my teeth, splashing water to wake myself up, and putting on some basic moisturizer and makeup, I slipped on some socks and my sneakers from Nike, and put the covers back around Sean. He stirred momentarily, rolled over, and I froze. But he was still out. I kissed his head and scribbled out a note on the stationary on the nightstand, then slipped out the door into the silent early morning.

The halls were semi-clear, and I checked my phone. 4:17. Good. I went down the stairs rather than the elevator, to wake myself up, and it was lonely in the stairwell. No Sean beside me, but I pushed the thought out of my mind. Focus on you, Kaycee. Rosemary was sitting at the desk in the mezzanine when I arrived, and she brightened. "Kaycee!" she chirped. "How did you sleep, hon? Was everything alright?"

If only she knew. "Wonderful," I said. "It's really great."

"Where's Sean? Is he ok?" 

"He's still sleeping," I said uncomfortably. I hoped she couldn't tell by my voice. "He was, um-up late last night."

"Oh, I see," she said, her eyes twinkling. I felt like they could tell, but I willed my face not to let it show. "Well, are you looking for the yoga class?"

"I am, actually," I said, relieved to be not on Sean. I mean, talking about him. On the subject of him. Damnit Kaycee.

"Well, it's gonna be the first room down that hall," she said, pointing to the studio area. I'd briefly explored it last night, and man, was it unlike anything I have ever seen. I still loved my mom's old Studio 13, though. "You'll be with Carly and Jessica. They're great!"