47-the way i do

Kaycee

Kaycee

__________

We had been working our tails off to get the dance for Divisionals done, and we had finally finished in the late hours of last night, sweating, tired, and frustrated. After the poem debacle, we had scratched the entirety of the idea until Worlds, if we made it. Too much risk came with that, and the round was risky enough as it was. We had two days until Divisionals, and I was so nervous I was losing sleep, barely eating, and losing weight. At my weigh-in earlier today, one of the nurses, Kat, had checked my weight and frowned. 

"Step on the scale again, Kaycee," she said. I dutifully nodded, and sucked in my breath. She looked at the numbers again and shook her head. "Something's not right, just hang on a minute," she muttered, checking her clipboard. She flipped to my past checkup notes. "Have you been eating well, Kaycee? Balancing your schedule with a lot of sleep?" 

"Yes," I lied. She looked distraught. "We might have to run some blood tests then. You seem to have lost almost 15% of your body weight." 

I gulped. "It's just stress," I heard myself say. "I think I'm just nervous." Just nervous was an understatement. I could barely stomach half a sandwich. Kat didn't look happy. "Kaycee, do you want to see someone? Being on your own can be scary, but there's plenty of people on campus and I'm sure I can set you up with someone-"

"I'm fine, really," I said. Last thing I needed was someone else telling me I was messed up. "Just, do you have something to help me sleep?" To get her off my back, and it couldn't hurt. "I think that'll fix everything."

"Sure," she said, and wrote me a script. Kelsi stopped by later with the meds, and I'd quickly pocketed them so Sean couldn't see. As I'd looked at the bottle later in my room while Sean was out, I noticed there were dietary supplements in the bottom, too. I mentally thanked Kat. I wasn't ready to admit I was over the edge, but now that I had a solution, I didn't have to. Phew.

I stepped on the scale, pushing all past thoughts out of my head. Kat leaned forward to see the numbers and I held my breath. "Up 4 pounds from last time, great job, Kaycee." She smiled. "You're looking better. Everything ok?"

"Yeah," I sighed. "We finished the dance last night."

"Exciting," she said as she wrote. "Any special plans to celebrate?"

"Sean and I are going out to dinner tonight," I told her. "Somewhere in the city. As per usual, I have no clue where." She laughed. "You two are so darn cute. He does what most adult husbands don't."

I grinned, heat rushing to my face. "Thanks, Kat. Same time tomorrow?"

"You can count on it."

***************************

In the shower, I closed my eyes and let the warm water wrap around me like a well-needed hug. The music filled the room and I let myself envision the moves in my head.