43-the flight home

Kaycee

Kaycee

_________
"Bye, Kaycee! Have so much fun in L.A.!" Jenna beamed, giving me a huge hug as I headed out the doors. "You're going home?" Taylor cried, appearing from behind her. "That's amazing, Kaycee! Safe travels!"

"Come on, sugar pie," Rosemary said, squeezing my shoulder. "Keep on moving. We got a plane to catch."

I hugged Taylor and followed Rosemary out of the doors and down the steps. Photographers were positioned there, their clicks blinding me. I slipped on my sunglasses and shielded my face. "Kaycee, Kaycee, over here!" they cried.

"What's it like going home now that you're famous?"

"Where's Sean Lew?"

"Is this caused by anything? A fight, an injury, anything, Kaycee, Kaycee!" They followed me as I got to the car and Victor ushered me into the car. "Keep smiling," he said, and he shut the door as Rosemary got in beside me. 

"You ok, Kaycee?" she asked and I nodded as she gave the directions to our driver. I couldn't believe I was going home. I couldn't believe I'd decided to leave Sean. I slipped in my earbuds and buried my hands in my pockets. 

I'd rather be a lover than a fighter-

Skip.

I had struggled with the decision, I'd lost sleep over it, and I'd talked to countless people about it. I didn't want to leave Sean. But I also felt like since Devon was going back to the Academy before New Years, and since my Dad wasn't ever in our lives, that it was kind of my duty to be with my mom and sister. We Rice girls had to stick together. But part of me wasn't ready to go home. I felt like there was so much waiting for me to do and see, and there were so many places to go, so many things to learn....and I was just running home at the first chance I could get. At least I still had the competition to come back to, but I felt like things wouldn't be the same after I left. I also felt like I was secretly letting Sean down, even though he'd been the one pushing me to go. 

I watched the city disappear, the buildings slipping through my grasp as we got to the airport. You're doing the wrong thing, my heart warned. But my head soldiered on. I needed to go be with my family. When it came down to it, Sean wasn't my family. None of these people were. This wasn't my home. My home was in L.A., with my mom and sister, with Will and Janelle at Imma, with my new friends at Blue Valley. Sean was there, too. That was home. Eva Igo, Avery and Taylor and Ashley and Zack and Kelsi and Rosemary and Jenna and the NBC campus were not home. Since I'd been there, I'd almost been kidnapped, almost exposed as pregnant, raped, and I'd had so many breakdowns I couldn't even begin to count them.

But Sean is home. And Sean is here.

"Kaycee?" Rosemary's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. "We're here, honey."

"Right," I said, taking my earbuds out and shoving them in my pocket. I picked up my backpack and swung my legs out of the car as Victor opened the door. "Right," I said again, to no one in particular. I'd left the majority of my stuff at NBC, and just taken the necessities, since again, my home was in L.A. "Thank you."