27-the qualifiers

hehe it's blurry but we all know how it goessss

******************************************

Kaycee

________

"And up next, is Sean and Kaycee!" The announcing voice ran backstage. 

I looked at Sean. He nodded his head reassuringly. "That's our cue, Kayc." 

"Good luck!" Eva sang, and other dancers murmured their wishes from their positions, clustered around the TV that projected what was happening on stage to the nervous people backstage. We walked through the tunnel that deposited us on the stage, trying not to become too fazed by the cameras that sped alongside us on cables. I looked at him and he looked at me, then flicked my side with his hand. I looked down. I love you, read his hands in sign language. The cameras couldn't catch us, so I signed back Me too.

Whoa. The stage was big. A lot bigger than I expected. The lights shone directly in my eyes and I blinked twice. And then in the midst of the cheers and stage effects, the panel of judges. Ne-Yo. Derek Hough. And THE J-Lo. I was so nervous. These people were way advanced in the realm of dance, and I mean, ahhhh. I swallowed quickly and focused on tying my blindfold loosely, but tight enough to stay on through the majority of the dance. "HERE WE GO!" I heard Derek yell.

"These is either gonna be real good or real bad," I heard Ne-Yo announce and the crowd laughed.

"Don't think about it," Sean said under his breath.

"We're READY!" J-Lo called to cue the sound operators, and music came through.

I closed my eyes and let it take me away.

I'd rather be a lover than a fighter (Fighter)
'Cause all my life I've been fighting

My entire body felt in sync with Sean and even though I couldn't see, I just had the feeling we were nailing it. Then my favorite part. Sean paused, untied my blindfold, and pointed at me and winked. I couldn't control my smile. We finished it up by moving together, then the lift, then our final pose. The music died out, Sean pulled me close to him, and we dropped the blindfolds together, remembering Janelle's advice to keep the story going for a hint after that song has ended. Then the lights came back on and we faced the judges. 

J-Lo was crying.

"You guys move me," she said. "You move me in a way I just can't explain, the concept was so real-" she kept going, and my heart sped up. I felt refreshed. I'd done what I'd loved with Sean, and I felt so good, and in the moment, there was no negativity, I wasn't worried about Charity or Andres or anyone else, except me and Sean. There was no need to worry about anyone else. Derek and Ne-Yo raved about it. "Blindfolded," Ne-Yo murmured in amazement. "Who's choreographing, by the way?" Derek asked. "THIS GUY!" I said, not letting Sean hesitate. The judges were awestruck and they stared at us, dumbfounded. Excitement sped through my veins and I tried to steady my breathing. "Let's lock in your scores guys, you need an 80 or above to get to the next round. Good luck," J-Lo said. I tried to read her face for facial cues, but she'd been trained not to let anything show.