Chapter 48

Matheo's POV

Perhaps a split second, the shock registered on my face. I was blank, my brain struggled as I couldn't quite comprehend what was about to unfold and what lies ahead. Being surprised isn't an emotion I've never taken well, I was taken a back to say the least. Generally, it was me shocking people and not the other way around.

But cleo, she is an exception.

She is my responsibility and I know she will need me more than ever on the situation at hand. Taking a step forward while she was still in between moving from time to time as she stares too hard on the mirror, figuring things out.

I carefully place a hand on her hip and like she was brought back to reality, she was startled by my action. But I flashed a small smile, gazing at her eyes as I try to reassure her by look of confusion on her face.

"I'm here, okay?" I briefly spoke with sincerity as I turn her around to face me.

                    She swallows nervously and does not say a word instead, her eyes were fixated on mine the whole time and as much as she tries to muster up a strong exterior, her eyes give away as they looked unsure.

                    I caress her cheek staring back at her, needing to show and remind her that I'll be with here throughout this time.

                   "Like I promised, I'm a man of my word Cleo ... I'm with you." I utter.

                   "I know." She smiles which came out forced and sad as he slowly lowers her head.

                   "Hey, hey ... babe. We will get pass through this, okay?" I lifted her chin with my fingertips until her eyes were back up on me again, speaking on a soft voice to at least try my best to comfort her. 

"I'm anxious ... what if they'll find out? what are we gonna do? this is not just going to end well, fuck!" She exclaimed and she continued to ramble.

To make her stop, I put a finger to her lips and that seemed to take her attention as she did.

"I know ... it makes you anxious as fuck and so it does to me. But eventually they're going to find this out and we just have to think of a way to hold the truth until our baby comes out, I promised you Cleo I will not leave you on this." I spoke, a stern expression etched on my face.

And like it slowly made sense to her state, she lightly nods and tries to give me a small smile.
"Okay, I trust you on this." She answered.

But then a question came in thought and I wasted no time to ask.

"Do you ... regret things?" I asked, anxious than I was before as I wouldn't like to see myself as a failure in every way.

Her brows furrowed and a bit of disappointment showed on her features, she forces a laugh in disbelief.

"Of course not. I might be anxious but there's no regret. I knew what I came into theo, it's just that we are at the wrong situation. You're my stepbrother, its our parent's I'm worried at."

I must admit, the realization of truth is a slap of reality as I thought. But the point is, it was also the realization that Cleo, all along, was the source of strength that I was also holding onto. She was strong, persevering as she carried herself in any challenge that came along the way, I could totally say she's my other half.