Chapter 53

Years After

         "Oh, you little nugget. Do you want to play stacking blocks with mommy?" I fondly spoke.

         "Does Mason want to play? Look who's got his favorite toys. Come here, little buddy." Theo adds while Mason cooed like he knew what we were talking about as he started to crawl excitedly when he saw me placing his favorite small stacking blocks on the thick plush rug.

            Ever since he came into our world he just became a new light in the family, our ray of sunshine. I remember the moment like it was just yesterday; going into labor, I was for sure spitting out profanities like a pro. Matheo held my hand throughout the whole time, encouraging me for support because pushing the baby out for like 2 hours was just not that delightful. I felt like I was about to die from the excruciating pain until I heard a cry came out and before I knew it, I already had this little precious bundle in my arms. We named him Mason Cole, our first baby boy.

             All the process and pain, the whirlwind of events that led up to my birth, it was worth it. The second I laid my eyes on my baby boy, I was by far the happiest I have ever been. I just immediately started crying tears of joy, Matheo had a look of relief on his face as he was smiling adoringly at the sight before him and to see our baby with so much love, it was just this indescribable feeling. He laid in my arms while I held him close to my chest as he fell asleep and his miniature fingers grasped mine like somehow he knew, that he was right here with his family. I just wanted to look at him, study every feature and memorize his details, knowing I will love him with all of my heart and I would never let anything happen to him.

Mason came out exactly looking like Matheo because the more he grew, the more he bears a strong facial resemblance to his father. His eyes are the darkest rich brown, his thick eyelashes were very much noticeable, his brows are growing as well and not to mention his pouty lips and his adorable smile, I could just stare at him all day.

The process may not have been easy from all of the sleepless nights, the worries and problems. But too see him growing up, the times spent well as a family, the thought gave me a warm smile on my face, loving the experience as a mother. Now, Mason is currently 8 months old, he's a little menace and adorable as ever. We mostly spend our time on the living room setting up a little playground area while Matheo and I still plan to add up another room for him in the household. After all, he's growing up so fast.

               "Mason, look at mommy." I spoke softly while he babbles for a response, too busy playing with his toys.

"Can you say mama Mason?" I said and it seemed to take his attention, as he turns around and faces me.

"I don't think he will, not yet." Theo mutters, a mischievous smile plastered on his face.

"Oh, he will. Just wait till you see!" I laughed, rolling my eyes as he was taunting me obviously.

Ever since Mason started to baby talk, we were very much eager and determined to make him utter mama and dada. We even made a bet to see which of the two will be the first he'll speak out. I was confident that I'll be the first, given I'm the mother of course, we obviously have a special bond. As expected, Theo was cocky getting all too delirious that I'll lose. I know the bet or just the idea of it, is unreasonable. But the fact we see ourselves going at it, it was such a fun experience. Until the most awaited word came and I could not even believe it. Unfortunately, it was dada who came first.