Chapter XXXV

Chapter 35: 'End'

*Third-person*

"Kudo-kun." Shinichi opened his eyes gradually and saw Shiho sitting beside him. "Hey." She mumbled and smiled at him. He greeted him back, smiling and slowly getting up. "No. It's still night, you should rest more." She whispered and helped him to lie down.

"Kudo-kun?"

"Hmm?"

"Can you promise me something?" she whispered as she laid her head in her hand. He slowly nodded, busy watching her lover. "Promise me that you'll stay strong, no matter what."

"What do you me-"

"Promise me that you'll still believe and trust in me." She added and held his hand. "Things happen for a reason, but promise me that you will-"

"Yes. I will." He interrupted her and leaned towards her, cupping her face and kissing her forehead. When his lips brushed to her forehead, he wondered why she's saying such things. Why does she feel so cold under his touch? "You should sleep now." She mumbled.

"Yes, love. Stay with me, will you?" he pleaded and smiled at her. Shiho just nodded at him as she held his hand tight. Then Shinichi slowly drifted to sleep.

===

"Kudo?" Shinichi frowned as he heard a woman called his name, gently tapping his cheeks. "Hey." The woman whispered and cupped his face. He groaned when he feel his head hurting. He clenched his fist and holds his head.

"Wait here." The woman whispered again. He still feels his head aching and when he slowly opened his eyes, he first saw the white ceiling. Where am I? That's the first question that popped in his head.

The woman walked out rushing and came back with a nurse behind her. The nurse quickly checked on him and checked his vital signs. He mouthed 'thank you' to the nurse as he slowly leaned on the headrest of the bed.

He then remembered the woman and looked at her. "Math?" he asked, confused on why the woman was here with him. "Hey, Kudo." Math let out a sad smile and sighed. "I heard what happened," she whispered and looked down.

"I'm sorry for your lo-" The door of his room swung opened making a loud thud. It revealed Heiji who was breathing heavily and catching his breath. "Shin." he mumbled and leaned on the door.

"Hey." Shinichi greeted him with a smile. Heiji slowly walked towards him and stared back at him. "Shinichi." He mumbled, still not believing that his friend was already awake.

Math faked a cough which made Shinichi glanced at her. "I uhm... just stay outside." She butted in. "It was really good to see you again." She added and walked out.

"Shinichi?" Shinichi instantly frowned when Heiji cupped his face, forcing him to face his friend. "Ah? Hatto-?"

"You're really up now?" Heiji asked, staring at him. He's acting weird. Shinichi doesn't know if he should be glad or upset because of Heiji's antics. "So it really worked." Heiji mumbled again.

"What work-"

"The kiss worked." Heiji whispered and pinched his cheeks. He flinched when Heiji did that and he quickly pushed him away. "What the he-"