Chapter XVI

Chapter 16: ‘Chances’

*Shinichi*

After the little singing show I did, we walk around the plaza. Surprisingly, people started to greet me after I sang. I decided to ask Miyano about that. But as usual, she teases me. If you only knew—I was ready to return a tease. But something caught my eyes.

No. It’s someone.

It was Ran and she’s with... someone?

I was busy staring at her that I didn’t noticed that I was crying. Is this the reason why she said she was tired? Is this the reason why she broke up with me?

I want to laugh at that thought. First thing, we weren’t a thing. We were just in love at each other... before.

“H-Haibara,” I was shocked when she hugged me but I stayed. The unusual beats started again.

My thoughts stop at the moments I have with this woman. It was always her. Whenever I’m down, she’s always there. Whenever I need her, she’s always by my side. She never failed letting me feel she’s always there whenever I need someone.

“We should go home, maybe you’re just tired,” she softly whispered to me.

For the past three years, we’ve been like this. We stand on each other. We work together as partners. But why? Why didn’t I notice this before?

Days passed. Thoughts about her still bothered me. I didn’t know when she started being open to me. Or is it just me not trying to know her more?

I always stare at her, still thinking about things. Whenever she looks at me, I look away, trying not to get caught by her. I don’t know why but I’m more bothered by Miyano than Ran.

‘Maybe because she doesn’t remember me?’

‘Or maybe I’m more interested in Miyano now?’

Damn! What am I thinking?! 
Am I in love with Miyano now? Am I falling for her?

===

Monday afternoon, we were at Nay Anna’s house. We were having lunch when we heard a sound of a car outside.

“Let me look at it, maybe it’s them,” Gray said as he stood up from his seat.

“Who are them, Nay?” Amber asked. She’s picking up our plates. “Your cousins told me that they’ll be staying here.” Nay Anna answered.

“Come on, no one invited you to come with me!” Someone said, the guy sounds like he’s annoyed. “You come with me willingly,” he added.

“It’s because I want to visit Nay Anna. You didn’t tell me that we’re going to stay here for week!" someone shouted.

“They’re fighting again, these kids!” Nay Anna said and walked towards the voices.

“Come on, Wat— Nay Anna!” The angry voice became happy when she sees Nay Rose.

“You two should stop fighting. You’re both grown up so you should act according to your age,” Nay Anna stated.

“It’s because of him/her!” they both said in unison.

“They always fight like that. They’re like cat and dog! Always fight!” Amber said while shaking her head. “Seems like you two have a fight too? LQ?” she teased.

“What?” Me/Miyano asked.

“Hahaha, I never know that couples always say the same thing if they have the same feelings,” she stated.

“W-What?” we stuttered.

“We didn’t argue nor fight,” I explained.

“Why do you think so?” I asked.

“You two ignore each other these past few days. You never talk, but you always look for each other whenever one’s away,” she sighed and smiled on us.

“Do you two have a problem?”

I first looked at her and glanced at Miyano. She’s looking at me too. Yes, she’s bothering me too much. “None,” I answered still looking at Miyano.

“Ehem, may I have your attention?” Nay Anna coughed.

I first faked a cough too, glanced quickly at Miyano and looked at Nanay. I frowned when I see someone behind her.

It’s.....

Watson. I bitterly thought.

I looked beside him and saw the woman that… I thought was Ran? So I’m really imagining things?

“This is Watson and Math, and this is Shinichi and Shiho,” she introduced as she move to the side.

Watson is smiling widely now, looking at Miyano. Damn, this guy is making me angry.

“Shinichi, right? Oh! Maybe destiny wants me to go here and to meet you! Nice to meet you!” Math joyfully said.

I nervously laughed and shook her hand. “It was nice to m-meet you too,” I answered and awkwardly smile. “But Kudo is fine,” I added.

“W-Wait? Kudo Shinichi? You mean the great detective of east! Wah! I’m a big fan of yours!” she said.

“Yup. That’s me and this is Miyano Shiho, my partner,” I stated and pulled Miyano towards me. She stiffened but she recovers quickly.

“Oh? Girlfriend?”

“N-No!” We said and looked at each other.

“Partners/Bestfriends,” we both said again. Still looking at each other, we both laughed.

===

*Shiho*

“Hey? It’s been a while?” A voice came out behind me. I’m here at the hill of Gray’s farm. “Shi?” Watson called me again. I only nodded to greet him.

“Aww, Shi, you’re too formal and too serious again,” he pouted. “How are you?” he asked.

“I’m fine, I guess?” I answered, thinking for the right answer.

“I’ve heard that you and Kudo guy ignored each other for days? Why?” he asked.

“He saw Ran, that’s what he said last few days,” I said. He frowned and raised an eyebrow saying ‘that’s not the answer to my question’. “I know he’s still bothered by her, so I gave him his privacy,” I added. “He still loved her,” I bitterly said.

“What if he stares at you every time you look away?” He said and I shake my head. No way. He sighs and, “Do you even know that he stares at you more than what he always did when we were at the city,” he stated. “I caught him many times,” he added and shrugged.

“So you’re trying to say is?” I asked.

“Maybe you have a chance to be with him,” he answered. “There are so many reasons to have a chance to be with him,” he stated.

“Again, he is still in love with her,” I said. No. I don’t want to hope. I don’t want to believe.

“Are you sure?” he asked and I shrug. “Still in love with his ex but staring at other woman, great,” he sarcastically said.

“Shi, just try to believe that maybe, just maybe he’s in love with the feelings not with the person. That he always try to make himself believe that he’s in love with other. But when he try to ask himself about his feelings with you then no doubt,” he paused.

He smiled at me and continued. “He’s in love now with you,” My heart beats rapidly because of what he said. No. Impossible. But at least let’s hope it’s true.