The Boy Who Didn't Speak English (Royality)

Date Published: Sept 9, 2019
Word Count: 1373
POV: 3rd Person

Patton sat out on the edge of the large fountain in the middle of the town square outside of the little townhouse they were staying in. It was really warm today, so Patton decided to put his feet in the water while his mom wandered around looking at all the street venders. They'd managed to find a little rentable house in tourist central, with little stands all over the place. They weren't going to be here long, only a couple weeks. Patton wished it was longer, because only a few days into the trip, he was already loving Spain.

He didn't know if all of Spain was like this, with a buzzing market outside their front door, with the smell of fresh produce constantly filling the air. He also wasn't sure if other places had these gorgeous old stone buildings or not, but he did like how they silhouetted in the orange casted light from the sunset. But, it probably didn't, considering that they were only in a small town in the middle of nowhere. But Patton didn't know, or care for that matter. He was only five, after all.

He kicked his feet a little, sending water flying as he splashed. It was nice and warm today, maybe even slightly too warm. It was a hot summer day, and the sun was blazing. The cool water from the fountain was helping soothe his sore soles, as he'd been walking around with his parents all day. Patton was enjoying himself, kicking and running his fingertips through the water. He had to squint his eyes though, because of the setting sun's light that was reflecting off of the surface of the water.

Suddenly, his eye caught something on the other end of the pool. Another little boy. One who was kicking off his sandals, and clambering over the outer wall of the fountain. He had wavy brown hair and tanned skin. Patton noticed his bright clothing: a white shirt, and red overalls that looked like they were well loved. They were covered in colourful embroidered patches from where the original cloth must've worn through. The overalls were rolled up to his knees, though, as he swung his legs over, and let them fall into the fountain with a sploosh and a sigh.

Patton was ecstatic. He hadn't seen any kids even close to his age the entire time he'd been here! He'd always been good at making friends, it was like his superpower. And if he was here for two weeks, a friend might be nice...

He didn't hesitate for a second.

"Hi!" Patton said cheerily, wading up to the little boy. He was gripping the his bunched up pant legs in his hands, in order to keep them dry.

The boy looked up and waved at him, his hands were calloused but clean, and his eyes were a striking almost-black brown. The boy smiled at him a little, before returning his attention to the water. He was swirling his feet in it a little, creating gentle waves. Much different than Patton's excited splashes.

"Um... I'm Patton! How are you today?" Patton smiled, still trying not to let the bottom of his pants drop into the water

The boy said nothing, and just continued to create ripples in the fountain.

"Hello? Can you hear me?" He asked.

The boy looked up again. "Se supone que no debo hablar con extraños." He spoke quickly.

That surprised Patton. He blinked a couple of times. "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

The boy frowned, and tilted his head a little as he looked up at Patton from where he sat. His feet stilled in the water. "Lo siento, no entiendo. Puedes preguntarle a mi mamá." He sounded like he was trying to offer Patton something, even though he had no idea what. What was he even saying? It sounded like gibberish. However, regardless of not knowing the words he spoke, Patton noticed that this boy's voice surprisingly melodious. It was like he was singing... but he wasn't. He was just talking. Patton couldn't quite explain it.

The two just looked at each other blankly for a moment. Patton's mind was working at a mile a minute. This language barrier definitely put a wrench in his "Make Friends with the Boy Across the Fountain" plan. How was he supposed to become friends with this boy, if he didn't understand him?

Patton sat down beside the boy, to ponder his dilemma. That was a new word that he'd just learned. His mom had used it earlier, and he'd decided that it was the funnest word to say that he'd ever heard. He had made it his mission to use it as much as he possibly could. "Dilemma, dilemma, dilemma." Patton mumbled under his breath.

The boy to his left was now eying him curiously. "Dilemma?" He asked, the word sounding a little uncomfortable in his mouth.

The little tourist boy perked up, eyes alight. "Do you understand me?"

The boy just stared at him unknowingly.

Patton sighed. "Guess not."

The boy looked to be about Patton's age, which was a good thing. He also had a playful energy about him. Both of those things made him the perfect friend, in Patton's mind. Although, to be fair, anyone was a perfect friend to Patton. Anyway, Patton wasn't going to give up.

He looked around at the square for inspiration. There were a bunch of adults that were leaning over various carts that were full of goods. There weren't really any kids around besides the two of them, but there was a stray chicken being chased through and around the legs of the shoppers by a cat, tailed closely by a scattered vender, who was grabbing at them both wildly.

Chase.

That gave Patton an idea.

He turned to the boy, who was now looking back down at the clear fountain water. Patton gently tapped his foot with his own, before standing again. The boy raised his head, and looked at Patton queerly. The latter reached out, and quickly tapped the other on the shoulder.

"Tag!" He said, through a giggle.

Then he was off, running unsafely through the water, kicking up foam behind him as he tore away. Well, he tore in slow motion, because he was slowed down by the water. He had gotten halfway across the fountain, before he checked over his shoulder. To his delight, the boy behind him was now running after him, his hands outstretched toward him.

But, Patton hadn't really expected him to catch on so fast, and the boy caught up quickly, returning his tap on the shoulder, before racing off in the other direction.

They chased after each other, tagging back and forth. Patton was laughing so much now that he hadn't realized he'd dropped his hold on his pant legs, and was now soaked from the knee down. The other little boy was much the same, but had splatter up to his chest from the splashes they'd made while running. Patton was "it", and was trying to catch up with the other. But, he'd changed directions too quickly, and slipped, falling on his butt into the water.

He heard the ringing of songful laughter. This kid really did sound like he was singing all the time. Then, there was a tanned hand extended toward him, paired with a wide and bright smile from his new friend. Patton felt warmer than the weather, and let himself be pulled up.

Apparently, it didn't matter where you were from, or what language you spoke. Play was universal.

When their mothers came to get them from the fountain, they found their sons sitting on the side of the fountain, babbling to each other in words that the other couldn't understand. They were playing some sort of hand game. Like a handshake of sorts. They were giggling incessantly, and were:

Completely.

Utterly.

Soaked.

Just for the record, I don't speak a word of Spanish. So I'm so sorry if I got any of Roman's lines wrong. If you do speak Spanish, and you're like "hey wait a minute what" feel free to correct me, and I'll fix it. :)