He Loved (Patton Centric)

This is the story I wrote to close out the most recent prompt for my Write This in Your Style book! A new prompt is out now, and if you haven't checked it out before, you should! I love getting to read all of your writing!

I feel like it's important to mention here that this is a human AU. I don't really mention it in the story but I think that it would be confusing if I don't explain that.

TW: Angst, illness, descriptions of symptoms.
——————————
Date Written: Apr 16, 2020
Word Count: 2160
POV: 3rd Person

Patton loved.

Patton loved cookies, and cats. Patton loved the rainbow, and the smell of pizza in the oven. Patton loved the sound of rain on window sills, and hot chocolate in front of a blazing fire. Patton loved his friends more than anything, and their hugs were his world. Patton loved lots of things.

Patton loved Joan's beanie.

Patton used to steal it off of their head whenever they came over to the flat that he, Thomas, Logan, Roman, and Virgil shared. The father figure would wear it around the house, and would always find creative ways to take Marco, the orange beanie with a nickname, without alerting Joan. He used one of those T-Rex extendable chompy toys that you could get for cheap at your local toy store once. He did it so often, that he was actually a major suspect in the case once Joan had announced Marco missing.

So, it wasn't a surprise to any of the others when Patton came home one day with a beanie of his own.

He had brought it in with the groceries, and none of them even saw it disappear into the washing hamper. But, Patton was quick to start wearing it all of the time. It was a bright yellow, and it shone almost as brilliantly as Patton's radiant smile when he wore it. The beanie was warm and welcoming, and it was like Patton was wearing the sun itself atop his head. The beanie quickly integrated itself into Patton's everyday wear. He loved it so much, it seemed, he refused to take it off. None of the others could actually remember seeing him without it for some time now. But, none of them ever said anything about it. Not even Logan, who found wearing a hat indoors impractical, since the hat can't really perform its intended purpose while inside, could find it in him to mention it to Patton. It made the father seem so happy when he wore it, so unable to part with it, that the hat was almost a sanctity. Untouchable.

Patton had picked the beanie up for a very specific reason that day. Under the glow of the sun, oftentimes people forgot about the shadows that it casted.

--

Patton worried.

Patton worried about if he was doing things right, and about if he'd burn another dinner. Patton worried about the constant threat of spiders hiding underneath the couch, and about if he told the others that he loved them enough. Patton worried about how reliant Logan was on coffee, and about Roman's obsessive perfectionist tendencies. Patton worried about Virgil staying up late again, and about how Thomas thought of himself. Patton worried about lots of things.

But, Patton never wanted to worry his friends.

It was laundry day. Laundry day wasn't a set day of the week, it was sort of just whenever Patton figured that everyone was probably in need of some newly cleaned clothes. Also, and perhaps more importantly, when all of his roommates were out of the house for the afternoon. Thomas had told him that he had done his own laundry the night before, so Patton was only going to be doing the others' today.

He set out around on his rotations, an empty laundry basket in hand. Well, almost empty. Patton had already tossed in the cardigans and shirts that he needed done.