When Friendship is Strongest (Analogical)

This is the story I wrote for the third prompt in my WTIYS book!! If you haven't seen it yet, and would like to participate in a little writing submission/short story thing, check it out! The deadline for the newest prompt is May 23rd!
——————————
Date Published: May 4th, 2020
Word Count: 2280

The sunrise is beautiful. The shades of yellow cascade over the roofs of the houses opposite and blend into soft pinks and purples that are all that remains of what the night once was. There are next to no clouds in the sky, but the ones that do pass by are light as wispy as if they're doing all they can to be as quiet and non-disruptive as possible. They are soft and fluffy and pure. The air is cool, and there's the gentle drip drip sound of morning dew slipping from the eaves of the house and onto the steps leading to the porch. On the porch sits Logan. He's dressed, sitting on the top step with his hands wrapped around a white porcelain coffee mug, that's tinted clementine under the colour of the sky. He's watching the sunrise, as he likes to on Sundays. Logan is a bit of an early bird, and he really enjoys getting to spend some shared time with silence before the rest of the town wakes up.

He listens to the faint sounds of birds whistling in a tree across the street somewhere, calling "Good mornings" to each other as they wake up under the warmth of the emerging sun. Logan runs a thumb across the rim of his coffee mug, before taking another sip. He's got a couple extra cubes of sugar in it this morning, along with some vanilla extract. He feels the need for a little extra sweetness today, and the sweetness gets caught in his small smile as the sun pokes its head up from where it sleeps below the horizon.

He hears the sound of the front door open and close quietly behind him, and there's a dull shuffling of feet on the porch.

"You're up early." Logan comments, taking another drink from his coffee.

His roommate and best friend sits down beside him without a word. He's still wearing his pyjamas underneath the jacket he's thrown on. Virgil is holding his own cup of coffee, and he's careful not to knock it as he settles on the step next to Logan, drawing his knees up to his chest.

Virgil doesn't actually end up responding to what Logan said. He normally wakes up much later than Logan on weekends, when neither of them have to get up for work. But, he knows Logan well enough to know exactly where to find him when he does happen to get up early. They've been friends since the eighth grade, and they've been inseparable since. A dynamic duo for the ages. So, they know basically everything there is to know about each other. They spent many school nights staying up texting each other, and many more poking fun at their mutual friend Roman at sleepovers. They used to sit next to each other on the bus every day on the way to and from their high school, and would share headphones. Eventually, Logan had found that Virgil's music taste was quickly becoming his own, their identities morphing and growing together through the moments that they shared.

They filled each other out so well, and Virgil honestly can't think of anyone more important to him than his best friend. They'd moved out here together after university about four years ago, because it had mattered so much to the two of them that they stayed together. For Virgil, Logan is his rock. His stability. The closest thing that he's had to family since moving out of his parent's house.

He enjoys the little life that they've built here, with Logan driving him to work every morning, and how they make weekly trips to the library together, and how they bicker over who's turn it is to make dinner. Logan enjoys hearing Virgil's music through his bedroom door, and how they complain about work and colleagues together. They both still wear the matching weaved friendship bracelets that Virgil had made them back in junior high, although they've both had to repair theirs a couple of times throughout the years.