Home Is Where the Heart Is (Logicality)

Date Published: Dec 27, 2019
Word Count: 2647
POV: 3rd Person

When Patton pulled up onto the long cobblestone driveway that led up to the house, he thought that he must've been at the wrong address. He put his foot on the brake securely, and then reached for his phone to check his Google Maps, but it had apparently lost connection some two miles back or so. Patton dropped his cellphone onto the dashboard of his car, and just stared at the house in front of him. "House" seemed to be the wrong word, because it implied something of significant size. This house was quaint. Cottage-sized, but modernly refurbished. It was gray and white with accents of black along the siding. It was thin, maybe only two or three rooms wide across the base, and two levels tall, if that. It was more like one and a half stories, if Patton had to put an exact number to it. The driveway was longer than the house. He was now stopped in front of a two-car garage that was painted dark grey, with a little row of windows along the last bend. The driveway morphed into a little stone path, that lead around the right side of the garage up to two doors. The first, a screen sliding door, that served only to keep bugs and other unwanted guests out, and beyond it a white and glass panelled door with a black metal doorknob and lock. It was more secure than the first to be sure, but it stood ajar, revealing a young man who was rushing toward it, tossing his book down on a chair as he approached.

Logan opening the screen door was the only thing that stopped Patton from backing out, and heading back to the nearest town to ask for directions. This wasn't at all the type of place that Patton had envisioned his boyfriend would live in. Of course, Logan had forewarned him that his place was small, but this... especially out here... in the middle of nowhere?

Well, perhaps that was a bit of an exaggeration. There was a town that Patton had passed maybe twenty minutes ago on his way here, and the trees surrounding the property were thin, few and far between. But the yellow grass was tall and untamed, like wheat in a farmer's field, except for along the outskirts of the pathway, where Logan had done some pushback work, and had set out little clay pots with flowers and ferns in them, although they looked a little wilted. Behind the house, was a large open lake, and from here Patton could catch a glimpse of a wooden dock leading out from what he'd later discover was the back porch.

Logan waved at him, before closing the screen door behind himself, and descending the front steps. Patton cautiously put his car into "park", and eased his foot off the break. He didn't take his eyes off of the house as he pushed open his car door, and stood up. The door shut behind him with a satisfying heaviness.

"Patton, you made it." Logan smiled, and crossed around the front of Patton's car to reach him. "I trust that your trip went well?"

"Yeah, it was just fine! Had a little trouble finding this place toward the end there, though." Patton said, voice a little distant as he looked up at the house.

"Ah, yes, I do tell them that they need to put up more road signs." Logan said with a nod. He shifted a little on his feet when his partner didn't look at him. Logan followed Patton's gaze, and clutched his hands together in front of him. "Is everything alright?"

Patton blinked, and turned to look at Logan, who was frowning a little. "Hm? Oh! Oh, yes, everything's fine. Just tired, that's all."

"It is a long trip." Logan affirmed.

Patton nodded, and let out a gentle sigh. "Hi." He put out his arms for a hug, which Logan didn't hesitate before returning.

"Hello." Patton could feel Logan's smile against his collar, which of course made him smile too. "Would you like some help with your bags?" Logan offered, once they pulled away.

"Yes, please."

Patton quickly scooted around to open the trunk. He'd tried his best to pack lightly, bringing only the essentials, as Logan had assured him that he had plenty of things here and since they would be living together, "What's mine is yours." He has said on the phone line but two months ago. But, even so, Patton still had five or six bags of his stuff with him that he'd brought from his parents' place in Seattle.