9 - The Gala Part 3

Focus.

Focus.

I said FOCUS!

Focus on his face, stop smelling the scent of freshly baked bread topped with the greatest blend of tomatoes to make the perfect little bite sized bruschetta .Stop thinking about that gloriously cheesy- STOP.

My stomach was growling and the only cuisine they seemed to be serving tonight is Italian. I sat back while the waiter came over and hovered his tray dangerously close to my nose and hands. When I passed his offer, Colt was served next.

“Thank you” he smiled, and deliberately looked over at me as he moaned with delight. The food was obviously good. In any other situation, I would’ve thought that his moan would’ve set me off on another tangent, but damn he was eating Italian food while I just sat back and watched him do it!

Call it fate or whatever but at that moment I felt a gentle yet persistent tap on my shoulder. Turning around, a smile spread across my face.

“John?” I asked with amazement, we had only bumped into each other last week. John Sawyer, my good friend from school, was standing in front of me in a tailored tux. God, did he look handsome.

“Hey Holly” He sent me a warm smile, I got up, briefly forgetting the smell of food and leaned into him for a hug “I wasn’t expecting to see you here”

“I could say the same” I laughed and placed my hand on his shoulder. He looked down at Colt, and regarded him for the first time. His eyes flicked over to his tie and my dress, probably noticing the matching colors. “Good evening” he said as a six foot four Colt Parker stood up, leaning over the both of us by a mile.

“Pleasure” he shook his hand firmly, I could see a whiter patch of skin stretching over his knuckles. “Colt Parker”

“Ah! Parker, as in Theo Parkers son?”

“The very same” they finally let go of each other’s hands.

“How do you know Mr. Parker?”  I asked John.

“I was speaking to him earlier today. My company needs some lawyering up. We might be getting sued”

“Let’s save the business talk for another time” Colt shot him a tight smile.

“Well of course, I couldn’t agree more. Perhaps we could arrange a meeting of some sort” There was a rebellious twinkle in John’s eyes as he spoke to Colt.

“Well, if you give the office a call first thing Sunday morning, it shouldn’t be a problem” Colt nodded “Excuse me” he said curtly and stalked off towards the bar. My eyes followed him while John directed his voice to me.

“So, he’s your date tonight?”

“No. He’s my boss tonight, and every other night from here on out” I said, my gaze finally danced back at John.

“Care for a dance?”

“Why the hell not” I felt free again. Free of thoughts about food, but not Colt. But hey, it was still something.

By the time we finished dancing Colt was back in his seat. I took my rightful place next to him.

“Where did you stalk off to?” I asked him. He looked almost sullen.

“Remembered some business, I had to speak to my father” He responded.

“Ah” I nodded, feeling a little bit disappointed that he wasn’t jealous. I scolded the thought away, and soon enough the pang of hunger that I tried to ignore decided to show itself. While colt sat beside me and enjoyed a plate of four cheese pasta, I merely watched.