16- Cloud 9

At 11:00 A.M. sharp, we had left the hotel. We were dropping the associates off at the airport. Colt suggested that we book them a taxi and let them go on from there, but I wasn’t having it. I needed to feel secure and sure that they were on the flight. I knew my imagination was getting to me, and the visuals I was being subjected to were far more exaggerated than what would’ve occurred during normal circumstances. I was imagining an army of seven bald headed goons chasing after my three innocent associates and ruining them, maybe even killing them. I shook my head, I zoned out again.

I closed my eyes and rested my head on the window of the car. The memories of last night came rushing back to me, especially when that skinny belly-dancer pulled Colt to his feet and started dancing in god knows what angles and it was basically a seduction. I was watching the man I was infatuated with get seduced by a charming and boldly beautiful “exotic dancer”. I sighed with frustration.

“So when are you coming back home to New York” Edward’s question pulled me out of my little moment.

“Tomorrow, late night” he nodded, deep in thought. I ignored the curiosity I had of asking why.

The airport was just how I remembered it, and will remember Dubai to be, grand and expensive. We shook their hands formally and Colt and I were back in the car before we knew it. I texted Lydia to make sure she tells me when they’ve passed security and are in the airplane. Till then, I couldn’t relax.

A hand on my knee sucked me out of my own thoughts “You were shaking your leg…violently“ He added with a measured smile. When I didn’t respond, like I usually would, he asked me what was wrong.

 Let me tell you what is so wrong in this situation, I want to go back home, I’m missing my family for some strange reason. I’ve never felt so homesick and practically useless. I want to go into the blood Burj Khalifa and smack the living daylights out of the unfortunately handsome Hussain Al Muhammad, I want his father to know what his son does behind his back. But most of all, I want to run on into the airport and hijack a plane to get away from the dreadfully unlucky company and my very handsome boss who is currently making my blood pressure rise! “Nothing” I said, ignoring the tempest that was raging on inside.

“Women” Colt muttered bitterly. I wasn’t letting up, I didn’t feel like talking. I felt like if I indulged then I’d end up in tears, and there’s nothing more unattractive than a pathetic loser of a woman. I need to keep my dignity intact. I am a strong woman.

We only had one business arrangement today, which was at night, a dinner with the entire Al Muhammad family and then drinks with the father to discuss further business and the payment process. I was just setting out the files for the meeting at night, pulling them out of the briefcase when I realized that my period had started.  That explained why I was being so hormonal and upset over small matters. On a good day that belly dancer would have never troubled me with her good looks and perfectly flat stomach and dyed hair that wasn’t boring a brown like mine. Colt had gone downstairs to buy some things from the souvenir shop for his family, which sounded weird to my ears. He cares for other people apart from himself!

I decided on wearing my pajama bottoms and a sweatshirt. Feeling comfortable and fooling myself with the fact that the sweatshirt was my imaginary boyfriend’s I cuddled by myself on the couch, I turned on the T.V. and checked my phone for any updates.

I had a single friend request, John Sawyer. I think I might’ve giggled a little bit, his profile picture was quite the click. I flicked through the channels impatiently and finally settled on ‘Star World’. The Big Bang Theory played in the background as I accepted Sawyers friend request.

I was immediately greeted with a message of delight.

John: Hey Holly, I was wondering when you’d finally accept :D.