Let Go

Ember's POV

"Pai, are you excited to see nana and papa?" I grin at her as I unbuckle her seatbelt. I had been nervous all week about seeing Justin's family, but now that I'm here I'm excited. My phone buzzes in my pocket as Paislee and I walk towards the fields.

Ash

what can I do to make
this up to you Emmie?
I miss you...

I stick it back in my pocket without answering. I don't know what to say to him, I miss him, oh man do I miss him. But...

"Ember!!" I'm pulled from my thoughts as two identical light haired girls in soccer jerseys run towards me.

"Karls! Kay!" I can't help but grin, catching them in a group hug.

"Thanks for coming. We miss you and Paislee." Kayla grins as they step back.

"Pai, do you remember aunty Kay and aunty Kar?" I look down to see Paislee hiding behind my leg slightly.

"Wow. That cannot be my Paislee girl. She's way too big." I glance up to see John walking towards us, smiling.

"Hey." I smile at him.

"How've you been, Em? We miss you back home you know." He offers a hug which I accept.

"I've been alright. Just trying to get back on my own feet completely."

"Well don't be a stranger please." He leaves his arm around my shoulders as we walk back towards the field the girls will be playing on soon.

"Just trying to figure out how relationships will be working out is all. I mean Justin is your son..."

"And an idiot. None of us blame you for what happened."

"I know, but still. There were things that I could have done."

"You were young and naive. None of us could have stopped you, if I remember correctly your mom tried."

"Yeah she did. If only I had listened to her."

"If you had we wouldn't have little Paislee though, and that would be a shame."

"Yeah. I don't know what I'd do without Pai. She's my world." I grin down at her, still latched to my hand tightly.

"I'd know that voice anywhere." I look up to see Kami getting out of her chair. She is the one I've really, really missed.

"Kam!" I grin wrapping her in a tight hug.

"So glad my son didn't kill this relationship, we miss you, Em."

"So I've heard. I miss you guys too though. But I needed time to heal."

"We know. But now it's time to sit and enjoy a long overdue chat about your life now."

"It's not as exciting as you'd think." I laugh taking the seat she offers.

"That's a good thing after the last four years." She chuckles, "Come on, John and the girls are busy with the game. Tell me about what's going on with you, and don't leave out any boyfriends or things. Justin may be my son, but you deserve a hell of a lot more than he gave you. And none of some of it."

"Pai, do you remember nana?" I nudge Paislee off my chest.

"Nana?" Pai points at Kami.

"Yes, I am nana. It's been a while but I still love you Paislee." Kami reaches out for her, but Paislee hesitates. After a bit of coaxing I get her to go to Kami.

"She's gotten so big." Kami laughs, snuggling Paislee into her chest.

"It's been since her birthday last year, that's the last time you saw her. That was almost a year ago." I chuckle.