Let's Try Again

Ember's POV

I yawn as I walk into the kitchen, starting a pot of coffee. I glance around, seeing a pile of dishes in the sink, automatically opening the dishwasher and starting to unload the clean dishes. Ashton won't be up for hours, might as well let him wake up to a clean house.

I pause when the coffee is ready, pouring myself some as I plug in my phone so I have some music to clean to.

I mumble the lyrics to song after song as I wipe down counters and cupboards. Whatever his family did last night while we were out seemed to make quite the mess. I pause halfway through ringing out the rag I'd been using. The starting beat of the song catching my attention, it's one I've refused to listen to in almost two years. I thought I'd deleted it honestly, but here it was, and all I could do was let the memories flood.

"Ember, come on, please hurry." He was pulling my arm slightly, but who could blame him he was so excited, that was evident.

"Sorry, Justin, these heels are hard to walk up a grass hill in." I grin back, I can't believe he asked me on a real date. The Justin Park! I know we are friends but he kept in touch after he graduated, and I didn't expect that.

"Wait!" He stops right in front of me, "Do you trust me, Hotshot?" He takes one of my hands in his, my stomach filling with butterflies at the nickname he gave me last winter.

"I trust you, Justin." I nod.

"Good." It goes really quiet as he does something on his phone. After a couple seconds there is music playing quietly, and I smile, recognizing the song almost instantly. Haylee and I had been obsessing over the album for months.

"One Direction? Good choice." I giggle.

"You know it?"

"Gotta Be You. I love this song." I nod.

"Ember, you're amazing, and if I'm going to be with anyone it's gotta be you. So I brought you here tonight, to ask you a special question. I want you to be mine, and only mine. Will you be my girlfriend?"

"I'd love that, Justin. So much." I grin, wrapping my arms around his neck excitedly.

"Me too." He whispered.

~2 & 1/2 years later~

"Hotshot, do you know how amazingly sexy you look tonight?" Justin whispers it in my ears as we walk through the Christmas light display.

"I'm wearing a coat and beanie. Not exactly what I'd consider sexy." I joke back.

"But you do, babygirl. You look so hot. Makes me want to do something special for you." He winks, pulling me away from the crowds.

"Where are we going, hon?" I chuckle, following him.

"Just a second, this needs music." He smiles, pulling out his phone.

"Gotta Be You?" I chuckle as I hear what has become our song start playing from his phone.

"Because it's gotta be you, Ember. You stole my heart when we met three years ago, Hotshot. And tonight I want to show you what I'm going to do about that." He pulls a little box out of his pocket, "Ember Ellis, I love you and I want to be with you forever, it's gotta be you, so will you marry me?" He drops to one knee.

"Oh my gosh! Yes!" There aren't tears on my cheeks but I'm grinning as I pull off my glove so he can put the ring on my finger. Hugging each other as our song continues to play.