Truths

Ember's POV

"Got some mail here for you, Em." Patti calls from across the driveway as Pai and I walk out of our apartment.

"Thanks." I grin taking the envelope from her. My expression suddenly changing.

"Em?"

"It's a court summoning. Like I'd get during the divorce." My hands start shaking as I turn over the envelope and open it.

"Why would you be being summoned to a court?"

"I don't- shit." I bite my lip as I read the first two lines. My eyes suddenly burn and my throat closes uncomfortably. "That fucking bastard." I mumble.

"Ember, what is it?" Patti looks worried.

"It's Justin. We ran into him a few weeks ago, when I was out with Ash. He told me he would be 'fighting to get his family back.' Just being Justin really, wanting to cause issues, make me mad."

"And?"

"He's taking me back to court, he's trying to take Pai away from me." My voice cracks.

"Oh, Ember. I'm so sorry, so so sorry." She pulls me into a tight hug.

"I can't lose her, she is my world."

"He has no case, we will get you the right lawyer. Ron knows who will be best. Justin can't take her away, we won't let him." She rubs my back softly.

"Pai and I have somewhere to be. Um, I'm going to need you through this Patti. So much."

"I'll talk with Ron when he gets home, he's at the firm he will get us the best. You're not alone in this, Em. You're not."

"Thanks. Um, wow. I thought I'd got through all his shit, and then he came back swinging. He's doing this to hurt me, because it was the only move that he knew would definitely cripple me."

"We'll kick him to the curb once and for all. Now go, you have someone else who needs to know about this."

"Oh shit. Ash. I need to beat the others there. I need to tell Ash first. Paislee, let's go, let's go find Ash."

Ashton's POV

I grin as I hear a knock at the door, knowing it's Ember and Pai. I haven't seen them in a week again, being gone with the band made that happen.

"Emmie..?" My voice falters when I see her. Instead of happy giggly Em I see sad, worried, maybe ever crying a little bit, Em.

"Ash." And now I'm sure, those are tears. She falls into my chest, sobbing.

"Hey, what happened, Em? What's wrong." I pull Paislee into the house and close the door behind them.

"Justin." She sobs into my chest, pulling an envelope from her back pocket and handing it to me.

"What is this, Emmie? What's happening?" I question again. Just his name makes me extremely nervous. She just shakes her head, crying harder.

"Ass, mommy sad." Paislee looks worried.

"Yes she is. Come on, princess Pai, let's cuddle mommy and help her feel better." I reach down and scoop up Ember's legs, carrying her to the couch.

"Mommy?" Pai cautiously pats Em's knee once I've sat down with Ember on my lap.

"Come here, baby girl." I pick her up and set her in my other arm, but Ember reaches out quickly to pull Paislee into her own arms.

Confused, I pull the papers out of the envelope, the way Em handed it to me told me it has the answers. My stomach starts doing uncomfortable flips as I see the official seal at the top of the page. My stomach stops flipping and drops out completely as I read the first few lines.