Learning About You

⚠️TW/low⚠️

Ember's POV

"Seriously, Ash, where are we going first?" I ask again, sitting in the back of the car as we drive.

"You are going to love it, Emmie. We are visiting somewhere you have mentioned you wanted to see. You brought my camera right?" He chuckles.

"Yes. I plan on taking a lot of pictures today."

"Good. I planned today around things you would love seeing most. So you'll definitely be taking a lot of pictures. Oh, how do you feel about boats? I never asked before."

"Boats? I'm fine with boats. Why?" I cock an eyebrow at him.

"We have to take a ferry out to the first stop." He shrugs.

"Ellis Island? Really? Oh my gosh please let us be going to Ellis Island." I grin.

"Shhh. It's a secret." He is smiling though, I know I've figured out the first part of our day.

***

"Ash, Look." I can't help but grin as the ferry approaches the island. One of the places I've wanted to visit for more than a decade.

"I know, baby. I'm glad you are excited about it. This morning is all about your nerdy history loving side, and this afternoon will be about romantic couple shit." He chuckles, rubbing my arm.

"Bringing me to places like this is kind of like the ultimate subtle romantic thing you could do. Just because you care enough to bring me to these weird places."

"It's not weird. I mean I don't get it really. But it's also not my country's history, and history was basically my worst subject anyway." He shrugs, "But I like to see you all excited and passionate about these things. Because I like to see you happy." He kisses the side of my head as he smiles.

"Thanks, Ash. Thanks for inviting me to New York with you too. I have enjoyed every second of this trip so far."

"And I plan to make sure you enjoy every second we have left."

"I'm pretty sure I will."

"Come on, Emmie, let's go see these old buildings." Ash helps me off my seat.

Ashton's POV

"Here." I pull the camera strap over Ember's head, taking it from her. "I'll take some photos, you enjoy being here, I can see the pure fascination in your face, love."

"This place is so amazing, Ash. Like people literally came here and waited for days or weeks or months even, just for a chance to start a new life. They gave up their homes, and possessions, and possibly even their families to start a better life in America. And this is where every single one of them came to make that happen, for a long time this was the place they had to visit to get into the U.S. So many lives were changed in this building."

"You're really cute when you're passionately rambling about history." I chuckle, making her go slightly red.

"Sorry. You probably think I'm a little crazy. But reading all these stories and stuff, it is really fascinating and humbling to learn more about."

"You're not crazy, baby. I promise. Everyone has something that gets them this way. Music does it for me, history stuff does it for you. I just like that I get to experience you this way. You see me this way when I'm playing my drums, now it's my turn to admire your passion."

"Thanks, Ash. I just feel like my passion is not what very many people are passionate about anymore."

"All the more reason to have people like you who are, and who will keep it relevant in current life." I take her hand, heading for the next wall of displays.