It's Okay...

Ember's POV

"Coach Em! What are we going to do without you?" Sammy whines as the team and I sit in the gym during class.

"You have my phone number, Sammy, and you can come visit the school. You three are going to go out and do amazing things with your lives. Don't hang onto high school." I laugh pointing at Jade and Robin as well.

"But it's weird, one week from right now we will be finishing our last day of high school." Robin sighs.

"One week from now you'll be in line for your diploma. Besides, life gets better after high school, I promise." I chuckle.

"But this team has become our family this year. What will we do without all of you?" Jade pouts.

"You've always got us. We expect you three in the stands at multiple games next year." Mia points at her.

"Besides, you can stay friends." I chuckle, "I am still friends with my coach and team from high school. In fact four of the five starters from my senior year are bridesmaids in the same wedding in about a month."

"What about the fifth?" Becky asks.

"She's the bride." I smirk, making the girls laugh. "High school is ending but none of these friendships have to because of that."

"Maybe we will just have to become your assistant coaches next year." Sammy sighs.

"I would love that." I grin at her.

"I can't. College is in Florida for me." Robin frowns.

"That's okay, we will watch you play ball from here. Cheering you on the whole way." Diane smiles at her.

"I just wish it wasn't the other side of the country."

"It will be a great experience. And you get to play college ball at a D1. That is amazing."

"Why didn't you play college ball, coach?" Aubrey asks, she's one of the freshmen. She didn't go through last year with me and the rest of the team.

"I chose not to, and sometimes I regret that choice. But I also wouldn't be here to coach you if I had chosen a different path than I did." I explain, sort of.. glancing at my phone as it buzzes on the gym floor.

"Ooo. It's Ashton." Multiple girls chorus.

"You guys are obnoxious sometimes." I laugh, picking up the phone and sliding to answer.

"Hello." I can't help but smile, the whole team watching me.

"Emmie, good. I was afraid you would be teaching and not answer." He doesn't sound as happy as I was counting on.

"I'm in basketball class with the team. What's wrong on your side of the world?"

"I've said ten words, how do you know something is wrong?" He chuckles but it doesn't sound completely natural.

"I just do. Now tell me." The whole team is watching me as I talk to him.

"Um, Calum wants to know if you can watch Duke for an extra week..."

"Sure, why?" I furrow my eyebrows as I ask.

"Because an amazing opportunity came up in London as of yesterday and we are headed there to write more for the next week..."

"Another week?" I try not to sound disappointed.

"Yeah. Just one week, and it's a huge opportunity for the band. I'm sorry, I know we had plans this weekend, we will just postpone them to next weekend, okay?"